The employer, and, specifically, the co-op student supervisor play a key role in the cooperative education process. Employers and supervisors are our partners in educating our students.
As a participating employer, your primary requirements are to:
- Provide work experiences directly related to the student’s field of study that increase in challenge and responsibility as the student progresses through their experiences.
- Provide appropriate supervision, mentorship and training for the student throughout the experience.
- Guide the student to develop and achieve co-op learning objectives.
- Pay a wage that is commensurate with the level and experience of the student and the co-op position. Average co-op wages, which may be used as guidelines, are located on the Co-op Salaries page.
- Evaluate the student’s performance and discuss the assessment with student to assist them in learning and growing as a professional. See the Employer Evaluation page for more information.