Contact: Keisha Love, Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Special Initiatives, 513-556-7013 or Keisha.Love@uc.edu
Adjunct Faculty Award
2018 Outstanding Faculty Award Winners
- Andrew C. Villemez, DMA
Adjunct Instructor, Piano
College-Conservatory of Music
Andy Villemez, DMA, is praised by his University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music colleagues for going above and beyond for students. The adjunct instructor of piano carries a full course load, teaching undergraduate and graduate classes, while mentoring students outside of the classroom. Learn more.
- Gary R. Kelm, PhD
James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy
After retiring in 2009 from a successful career in health and beauty research and development with Procter and Gamble, it would have been understandable if Gary Kelm, PhD, had hung up a “GONE GOLFING” sign.
Lucky for the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, Kelm continued teaching as adjunct faculty. He began at Winkle College in 1997 by teaching three graduate courses (Advanced Biopharmaceutics I & II and Advanced Drug Delivery Systems) in 1997, and from there worked tirelessly to improve upon the program’s stellar reputation. Learn more.
Award Criteria and Process
The Office of the Provost makes it a top priority to recognize those who have made the greatest contributions to the university’s teaching and research missions. As part of this goal, the Office of the Provost sponsors the President’s Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Member Awards. Each year, this award honors two faculty members who have exceeded the scope of their duties and have achieved new heights in teaching, research, and student learning.
Teaching faculty with an FTE less than 100% are eligible. A committee will select one recipient who teaches on a semester-by-semester basis (term) and one recipient who has an annual or continuing (bargaining unit) appointment.
Any full or part‐time faculty member or student may nominate a candidate. Self-nominations are accepted. All nominators must adhere to the process described below.
- Nominations shall include a narrative of no more than 500 words that describes the manner in which the candidate has exceeded expectations in academic excellence by serving students and must also include:
- A letter of recommendation from the head of the appropriate academic unit. In addition to addressing the criteria, this letter should indicate whether the candidate is a term, annual, or bargaining-unit adjunct, and what course(s) the candidate has taught.
- No more than four additional letters of support from students and peers.
- A letter reflecting the endorsement of the college dean.
- The Adjunct Faculty Advisory Committee, which consists of two adjunct faculty, two full-time faculty, and two administrators in the Office of Provost, will select recipients.
- The nomination packet must be submitted electronically as a single electronic PDF file by Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, to Keisha Love.
- The Committee will complete the selection process and forward the names of the recipients to the Office of the President by Jan. 19, 2018.
- Recipients will be recognized at the Faculty Awards Celebration in April 2018.
- Please direct questions to Keisha Love (513-556-7013), Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Special Initiatives.
The recipients will be recognized at the Faculty Awards Celebration in April 2017.