Contact: Keisha Love, Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Special Initiatives, 513-556-7013 or Keisha.Love@uc.edu
Exemplary Department Award
The Provost Exemplary Department Award recognizes the work of departments that maintain exemplary scholarly environments for faculty and students. With this award, the University publicly honors the collaborative efforts and successes of a group of dedicated colleagues actively performing work that is essential for sustaining an excellent academic environment. The Office of the Provost will award a total of $30,000 for the 2017-2018 academic year.
2018 Provost Exemplary Award: Department of English and Comparative Literature
The Department of English and Comparative Literature earned the 2018 Exemplary Department Award, which comes with $35,000 to support the the unit.
This year, the Award’s theme focused on demonstrating excellence in the recruitment of graduate students. The selection committee appreciated the department’s effort in graduate student recruitment and retention, particularly for underrepresented students. Learn More.
Award Overview and Theme
Each year the award focuses on a different theme. This year, the Office of the Provost will recognize departments that demonstrate excellence in the recruitment of graduate students. Programs at either the masters or doctoral level that demonstrate a strategic, systemic approach to recruitment that results in the enrollment of highly qualified graduate students from diverse backgrounds is sought. Departments that are innovative and effective, as evidenced by applications quality and quantity, acceptance rates, and increasing yield rates, in their recruitment strategy are ideal. Refinements in the strategic use of institutional graduate tuition assistance are particularly welcomed.
Academic departments and academic programs/areas that do not fall under an existing department structure are eligible to apply.
Applications are due by February 19, 2018. A review committee consisting of administrators in the Office of the Provost will review applications and select a recipient. All funds must be spent by December 31, 2018, and a final report detailing how the funds were spent is due January 30, 2019.
Applications must include the following information and be submitted to Keisha Love as a single PDF or Word document:
- A letter of application that addresses the four following areas (10-page maximum):
- Describes the recruitment strategy;
- Demonstrates the quality of students as evidenced by test scores, academic honors and achievements, or other means, and demonstrates enrollment growth;
- Demonstrates the diversity of the students;
- Outlines a plan for the sustainability of the recruitment strategy;
- Explains how funds from the Provost Exemplary Department Award will be expended and are related to the year’s theme;
- 1-page budget outline
- Three to five letters of support from administrators, external agencies/partners, professional organizations and/or others who can speak to the quality of the students.
- [Optional] Supporting documentation for items addressed in the application letter
Please direct questions to Keisha Love (513-556-7013), Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Special Initiatives