About UC Women Lead + Apply
UCWL Helps Women Overcome Challenges They Face In Their Campus Careers.
The University of Cincinnati is committed to the advancement of women in higher education. The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost supports a number of initiatives designed to help women develop their strengths, create an affirming culture for women and other underrepresented groups, as well as advance the collective UC community. UC Women Lead is a key program and initiative aimed at supporting the development of women leaders across campus.
UC Women Lead is an experiential leadership development program, designed to develop core leadership skills for women faculty and staff who wish to advance to senior academic and administrative positions at the University of Cincinnati. Leadership development is a critical strategy for transforming institutions of higher education.
UC Women Lead program participants will:
- Develop a better understanding of their personal leadership skills and developmental needs
- Cultivate relationships across campus and within various disciplines
- Identify strategies for successfully navigating challenges in negotiation, conflict management, leadership identity, communication, and career-life balance
- Outline a leadership development plan tailored to their goals
- Receive both peer and executive coaching support to advance their leadership goals
- Engage in an institutional development project that is designed to draw on core competencies and have an impact on the University
Eligible faculty applicants must have:
- A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience at UC
- Hold the associate or professor rank
- Note: Educator and clinical faculty are eligible to apply
Eligible staff applicants must have:
- Earned a bachelor's degree
- Been employed at UC for at least 3 years
- Hold the title of an assistant or associate director or above, or an equivalent level of responsibility
The application deadline for the 2018-2019 UCWL program is June 5, 2018.
Applicants are required to submit the 2018 UC Women Lead application along with the following:
- A current resume or vitae
- A one page statement of interest discussing how the UC Women Lead program may foster the applicant's professional and personal development (minimum 400 words)
- A letter of support from the applicant's department head, dean, or divisional vice-president that outlines the applicant's leadership competencies, potential for advancement, and a potential future career path in leadership roles at UC
Applicant information is kept confidential, and shared only with the selection committee and staff.
Access the application here
Email supporting documentation to Susan Frazer
UC Women Lead Expectations
Applicants selected for the program will be expected to make a substantive commitment to their professional development and to the UCWL program. The following are expectations of all participants:
- Attend monthly 3.5 hour meetings. Participants with more than two unexcused absences will not be eligible to graduate from the leadership program.
- Attend an overnight off-campus retreat in September.
- Complete assigned readings and pre-work for each monthly workshop. Preparation time will vary ranging between 4-6 hours each month.
- Engage in a professional development plan in partnership with one’s nominating sponsor. Write a progress summary at the end of the program to be discussed again with one’s nominating sponsor.
- Participate in a 360-assessment that solicits constructive feedback from one’s supervisor, peers/colleagues, and direct reports if applicable.
- Engage in monthly peer-coaching sessions with another cohort member as well as two individual coaching sessions with a trained executive coaching consultant.
- Fully participate in an institutional development project. Project work will be done in small groups and will vary in scope and duration, and participants should expect to spend approximately 10-15 hours per semester on project work.
UC Women Lead 2018- 2019 Sessions
- Wednesday, September 5, 2018 (9a - 3p, Boost)
- Friday, September 21, 2018 and Saturday, September 22, 2018 (TBD, meets Friday evening then again Saturday until 3:00p)
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Monday, December 17, 2018 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Monday, February 11, 2019 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019 (3p - 6:30p, Van Wormer)
- Monday, April 15, 2018 (3p - 6:30p, Teachers-Dyer, Annie Laws)
- Thursday, May 16, 2018, Graduation Dinner (5:30p - 8:00p, TBD)