FST3043 Foundations of EMS & Community Paramedicine
This online team-taught course examines frequent callers to 911 for EMS services, and how some Fire/EMS agencies are finding unique solutions. Community paramedics interact and treat patients in changing ways, engaging a wide variety of community resources, to meet the needs of frequent users of the EMS system. Community paramedics are able to serve the patient and the community by providing a wider array of services, more closely matched to the patient's need.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Describe the foundations of EMS 911 services and compare to a community-based program which assists "frequent 911 callers."
- Explain the changes in protocol needed to practice Community Paramedicine in the student’s community.
- Contrast and compare Community Paramedicine programs from different communities.
- Justify the launch of a Community Paramedicine in your fire & EMS department.
- Discuss the differences in patient advocacy between a paramedic who only responds to 911 calls and a community paramedic.