Applying for Ohio Residency For-Tuition-Purposes Under "The Ohio G.I. Promise"
Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services, their spouses, and dependents, may qualify for immediate classification as Ohio residents for-tuition-purposes, if the veteran either:
- Served one or more years on active military duty and was honorably discharged or received a medical discharge that was related to the military service; or
- Was killed while serving on active military duty or has been declared to be missing in action or a prisoner of war.
Additionally, to qualify for Ohio residency-for-tuition-purposes the veteran must also have established domicile in Ohio as of the first day of classes for the requested academic term.
If the spouse or a dependent of the veteran seeks Ohio-residency-for-tuition-purposes status, both the veteran and the spouse or dependent seeking Ohio residency status must have established domicile in Ohio as of the first day of classes for the requested academic term ─ except that if the veteran was killed while serving on active military duty or has been declared to be missing in action or a prisoner of war, only the spouse or dependent seeking residency status shall be required to have established an Ohio domicile as of the first day of classes for the requested academic term.
University of Cincinnati is required to follow Ohio Board of Regents guidelines in interpreting and applying “The Ohio G.I. Promise” and Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-10.
How to Apply for Ohio Residency For-Tuition-Purposes If You Are A Veteran or the Spouse/Dependent of a Veteran
Print and Complete "The Ohio G.I. Promise" Residency Reclassification Application.
For applications where the veteran is the student applying for Ohio residency, attach all of the following documents:
- A copy of the “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty” (i.e., DD Form 214, member 4) issued to you by the U.S. Department of Defense; and
- A copy of a lease or deed, or a Ohio driver’s license or Ohio state ID, establishing that you reside in Ohio; and
For applications where the veteran's spouse or dependent is the student applying for Ohio residency, attach all of the following documents:
- All of the documents listed just above for the "veteran-is-the-student" application;
- A copy of a lease or deed, or a Ohio driver’s license or Ohio state ID, establishing that you (i.e., the spouse or dependent) reside in Ohio (your Ohio residence may be separate from that of the veteran claimant); and
- If you are the veteran’s dependent, a copy of your veteran parent’s most recent Federal Income Tax form showing that he or she has claimed you as a financial dependent.
Submit this form and all supporting documentation to:
University of Cincinnati
Office of the Registrar – Attn: Residency Area
P.O. Box 210060
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0060
The Registrar’s Office may require additional documentation from the veteran claimant and/or the student spouse/dependent prior to making a determination regarding the Ohio residency for-tuition-purposes eligibility.
*Residency applications are due no later than the first day of the semester.
Questions? Please email us!