- Call to let your student know a package is en route.
- Always mark your items with your return address and mail them so that the return address and post mark are consistent.
- Address the package properly (see details at right).
- Do not use “UC” or “University of Cincinnati” in the address.
- Doing so will mis-direct and delay delivery.
- Do not send cash or gift cards through the mail.
- Do not send items that would create a bulge, lump or stain or items that could leak liquid or powder. If sending a liquid or powder is essential, pack the item in a spill-proof, sealed bag to contain any spill.
- Pack items carefully and use appropriate insurance.
- When shipping battery-operated devices, remove the batteries before shipping.
- Consult the shipper before sending any potentially hazardous materials such as flammable liquid, chemicals, or pressurized canisters.
Mail is delivered and distributed once per day to the students’ locked mailboxes, Monday through Saturday.
For packages and special delivery items (registered mail, postage-due, express mail, telegrams, flowers, balloons, etc.), students receive a written notice in the mailbox and must present their UC ID to retrieve the item during posted pick-up hours.
Mail is held at the hall office during break periods and is not forwarded.
Mail (not including bulk rate items) is forwarded during summer quarter, if the student moves to another residence hall, if the student is released from the housing agreement, or if the student leaves the University. Students are responsible for leaving a proper forwarding address and are encouraged to fill out a forwarding card with the US Postal Service.
If your student is missing mail or packages, start by having a trace put on the items by the sender at the point of origin.
If the trace indicates the item reached the University and the student has not received it, she or he should file a report with University Police by calling 6-1111. He or she should also file an incident report with the Residence Coordinator (RC) at the front office of the residence hall.