Should I live with someone I already know or be assigned randomly? Each arrangement has its own pro and con arguments.
Selecting a Friend or Classmate
- You may feel more comfortable initially moving in with someone you know.
- Being friends already can ease the logistics of arranging who will bring items and what you will share.
- Being friends and living together are two different things. Your friendship may actually make it more difficult to bring up concerns when you’re bothered.
- Being roommates may put your friendship at risk.
- If your roommate relationship goes well, then you have one good relationship.
Being assigned randomly
- You may be uneasy about moving in with someone who is a stranger to you.
- Starting out as strangers gives you an opportunity to build a new relationsh from the start--a clean slate free of assumptions.
- If your roommate relationship goes well, then you have a good roommate relationship AND a separate good friendship with another person.
- If your roommate relationship is very challenging, then you have a challenging relationship, BUT you still have a separate good friendship with another person.