- Keep your room door locked whenever you are out of the room, sleeping, or otherwise unable pay attention to what might be going on in the room.
- Don’t allow unknown persons to follow you into the building; don’t check in people who aren’t legitimately your guests. If you check in someone, you are assuming responsibility for their actions.
- Lock up items that are particularly valuable, such as credit cards, cash, laptops, jewelry, and so forth. Don’t keep large amounts of cash on hand.
- Engrave valuables with an ID number and keep a record of serial numbers.
- Protect personal information such as ID numbers, bank account records, phone numbers, and do forth.
- Report suspicious people or activities to the hall staff or to the University Police at 556-1111. Anonymous tips can be reported to 556-2677 (6-COPS).
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of all stairwells for fire evacuation. Don’t tamper with any of the smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, extinguishers, or other safety equipment.
- Familiarize yourself with your hall’s designated shelter locations for severe weather.
- Travel in pairs or groups, especially at night.
- Avoid unlawful or excessive use of alcohol or other drugs. These impair judgment and leave you more vulnerable to harm or manipulation.
Protecting Yourself & Your Property
For more information, consult Public Safety or your residence coordinator (RC), assistant residence coordinator (ARC), or resident advisor (RA).