The University of Cincinnati full time Crime Prevention Unit offers educational programs to the faculty, staff and students on topics that include personal safety, ofﬁce security, rape prevention, Operation ID, alcohol awareness and other related topics.
Information is provided through seminars, ﬁlms, posters, bulletins, pamphlets, and the university newspapers. This unit also allows for the dissemination of crime statistics through news publications and community meetings. To schedule a program or get information, call the unit at 513-556-1111.
No police department can operate effectively without the cooperation and the support of the people it serves. Crime prevention invites all community segments to actively participate in the reduction of crime.
Crime Prevention Tips
Crime prevention incorporates the theory that if crime is to be reduced, we must lessen the opportunity for crime. Below are some suggestions:
1. Lock your room door when leaving.
2. Do not leave large sums of money or valuables in your room.
1. Lock valuables in the trunk or leave them at home.
2. Lock your vehicle and take your keys.
3. Park in well-lighted areas.
1. Never leave your personal items unattended (e.g., library, study areas).
2. Report any suspicious people or unusual activities to the police.
3. Give a copy of your schedule to a parent, friend, or spouse in case of an emergency.
Most buildings on campuses are open from 7 a.m. until evening classes let out. Some are locked earlier by special request. Administrative buildings are generally locked at 6 p.m. and do not open again until morning. Once buildings are locked, only authorized people can gain access.
By picking up any blue help phone, you are directly connected to the UC police dispatcher. These phones are located throughout campus walkways and inside parking garages. Police respond to the lifting of any help phone receiver, even when no words are spoken. Red phones are located inside buildings and at the front desk of residence halls. Neither of these phones can be used for campus calls.
· Call 911
· Police TIPS Hot Line 513.556.2677
· East Campus: 513.558.1111
· All Other Locations: 513.556.1111
· Police Administration: 513.556.4900
· Environmental Health & Safety Operations 513.556.4968
· Nightride Program 513.556-RIDE
· Resident Education & Development 513.556.6476