SharePoint Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my photo to display in Lync, Outlook, and SharePoint presence indicators?
Employee photos that appear with presence information in Lync, Outlook, and SharePoint are pulled from your SharePoint MySite and pushed into AD (active directory). To enable your photo in these applications, you must first create your SharePoint MySite, populate your user profile information, and upload a photo of yourself.
- Log in to any UC SharePoint intranet site, such as https://mysite-share.uc.edu. Remember to authenticate in the password window by using "AD\your6+2UCID", and your password.
- Once you are successfully logged in to SharePoint, you should see your name displayed in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Click on your name, which launches a drop down menu.
- Click on My Profile in the drop down menu.
- In the top left-hand corner of the screen you'll see an empty/avatar image. Click the Edit My Profile link beneath the image.
- Complete the information in About Me, Ask Me About, Past Projects, Skills, and other sections.
- In the Picture section, click the Choose Picture button to upload an image of yourself (please use JPG or GIF).
Please note the following guidance about your personal profile photo:
We would all prefer not to use our badge photos for this. Instead we’re asking that you provide a SharePoint User Profile photo that clearly shows your face, rather than a photo of an object, avatar, pet, or cartoon. That way, you have control of how your colleagues will see you. Since this is how your UC colleagues may first be introduced to you, please be professional and use an appropriate photo that allows us to identify you as the person that goes with the name. (That means no hiding behind masks, hat brims, or sunglasses, and no bikinis, speedos, see-through clothing, etc. ;-). Inappropriate photos will be removed and the user’s manager notified.
- Click the Save and Close link at top or bottom of the dialog to complete your profile.
- After your photo has been added to your MySite, it is pushed into Active Directory during our daily synchronization process so that Exchange and Lync can display it. This synchronization occurs daily at 1:00 a.m. So, if you add your photo to MySite on Monday, you should see it in Outlook after 1:00 a.m. on Tuesday.
For additional information:
Please let us know if you have comments or questions. Thanks!