SharePoint Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my photo to display in Lync, Outlook, and SharePoint presence indicators?
Employee photos that appear with presence information in Lync, Outlook and SharePoint are pulled from your SharePoint My Site and pushed into Active Directory. To enable your photo in these applications, you must create your SharePoint My Site, populate your user profile information and upload a photo of yourself.
- Log in to the UC SharePoint My Sites Portal at https://mysite-share.uc.edu with your Central Login Service credentials.
- Once logged in, you’ll see a message that says “We’re almost ready!” while SharePoint creates your My Site, but you can go ahead and upload your photo.
- To upload a photo, hover over the silhouette (top left hand corner of the screen) and click “Change Your Photo.”
- Browse for a picture (JPG or GIF) on your computer and click “Upload.” Please note the following guidance about your personal profile photo: We’re asking you provide a SharePoint User Profile photo that clearly shows your face, rather than a photo of an object, avatar, pet or cartoon. That way, you have control of how your colleagues will see you. Since this is how your UC colleagues may first be introduced to you, please be professional and use an appropriate photo that allows us to identify you as the person that goes with the name. (That means no hiding behind masks, hat brims, or sunglasses and no bikinis, speedos, see-through clothing, etc.). Inappropriate photos will be removed and the user’s manager notified.
- Complete the information in About Me, Ask Me About, Past Projects, Skills, and other sections.
- Click the “Save All and Close” link at the bottom of the page to complete your profile.
- After your photo has been added to your My Site, it is pushed into Active Directory during our daily synchronization process so that Exchange and Lync can display it. This synchronization occurs daily at 1 a.m. If you add your photo to My Site on Monday, for example, you should see it in Outlook and Lync Tuesday morning. If you don't see it the first day after upload, please give it an additional business day before reporting it as an error.
Please let us know if you have comments or questions.