How to Embed Video
Getting the embed code from YouTube
- Exit the YouTube Video Manager (if you are in that view), and access your video in the standard YouTube viewer.
- Click the “Share” link below the video.
- Then click the “Embed” link. Be sure all of the code is highlighted, right click and select “copy” to copy the code from the window.
- Paste the embed code into Notepad on your PC (or Text Edit on a Mac) to preserve the code for E-News.
- The code should look like this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujAENetV3h8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Highlight the code and copy it.
Adding the embed code to your E-News release
- Log in and navigate to your video news release.
- Select “Edit this Release.”
- Within the Release Body, choose the HTML tab at the bottom left of the editing window.
- The screen will now allow you to add the HTML code that you copied from Notepad to the HTML of the Release Body. Select a spot within the release where you would like the video to appear and paste the code. Next, the embed code needs to be modified.
- You can modify this code either directly within the HTML view on the Release Body or you can modify it beforehand in Notepad. It makes no difference.
- The following code needs to precede the YouTube embed code (you can copy and paste this example):
<DIV style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FLOAT: right; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
- The following code needs to follow the YouTube embed code (you can copy and paste this example):
- The code should now look like this:
<div style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FLOAT: right; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujAENetV3h8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe></div>
- DO NOT make any further edits to other fields within the release. You must keep the Release Body in the HTML view and scroll down to the bottom where you click to submit the release.
- Add your standard comment to the news release and click “Submit.”
- Once the video has been successfully embedded, you can go back and make additional edits to the Release Body, as needed.
Additional notes for editing code
- The size of your embedded video can be altered by changing the height and width parameters within the code. Some suggested sizes:
- In HTML, the “FLOAT: right” makes the video align right. “FLOAT: left” would naturally align it left. Note: the padding of 10 pixels would need to be adjusted for left-aligned video accordingly, like this:
<div style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; FLOAT: left; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujAENetV3h8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe></div>
- If your video doesn’t present itself immediately in E-news properly; it is likely still processing the video on the YouTube side. If 30 minutes or more passes, please repeat the steps and delete the failed attempt.
- Keep in mind, some videos could be tied to News embargoes. Once the video is uploaded to YouTube and made “public”; it is publically available for all to see regardless of your embargo.
- Edits to existing YouTube video text can be accomplished through the YouTube Video Manager.