A. Any university-affiliated department, program area or organization may request access to a university Web server to publish information about their unit. Although many units run their own Web servers, space is available on the university Web server. Benefits of using the university Web server include:
- authenticated access to files is available at all times by file transfer protocol (VPN is needed);
- files are backed up nightly;
- server is in a secure location;
- server is regularly updated with security patches and software updates;
- server hardware and software is maintained by UCIT.
- secure (encrypted) transmission of data is available.
- Web traffic statistics are available.
Mission critical information and/or enterprise-wide services may be housed only on servers that meet the applicable Government and Regulatory Compliance rules for the data types residing on the server. Refer to http://www.uc.edu/infosec/compliance for an overview of the compliance requirements. Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Electronic Personnel Health Information (ePHI) and other restricted data must be safeguarded as required in the UC Data Protection policy.
To view this document, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download.