Medical & Health Profession Student- Needlestick or Body Fluid Exposure
AFTER A NEEDLESTICK OR BODY FLUID EXPOSURE
IF indicated, HIV prophylaxis needs to be started within 2 hours.
- Cleanse wound with soap and water and irrigate area with saline. For eyes, irrigate with water, saline, or sterile irrigants.
- Arrange for source patient blood tests to be ordered by the provider responsible for the source patient's care (see below)
- Receive care from your medical provider or the nearest Emergency Department that accepts your insurance.
If you have UC Student Health Insurance, report to:
- Monday - Friday
(except University Holidays). 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
University Health Services, Holmes Building, 1st floor, room 1007, Phone: 513-584-4457
- Nights, weekends, and University holidays.
Go to the nearest Emergency Department or the University Hospital Emergency Department. If you need advice call 513-584-STIX. Follow up with University Health Services (513-584-4457) the next workday.
- If away from Cincinnati.
Go to the hospital emergency room where you can get immediate care. If you need advice, call University Health Services (513-584-4457) or the University Hospital operator (513-584-7777 or 513-584-PAGE) and page the University Health Services physician on call. Report your exposure to University Health Services ( at 513-584-STIX or 513-584-4457).
If you do not have UC Student Health Insurance, contact your insurance company for instructions or go to the nearest Emergency Department that takes your insurance. You may receive care at University Health Services. You will be billed for your care.
REQUIRED SOURCE PATIENT LAB WORK
- Rapid HIV antigen test (OCCEXP or other)
(written informed consent required)
- HBsAg, HBclgM, HCVab
- Hepatic profile
- Collect 3 serum separator tubes and label with source name, medical record number, date, and time collected.
- At University Hospital UC students and employees should request an orange packet from Immediate Response lab (IRL) by calling 584-3700.
REQUIRED RECIPIENT LAB WORK
- HIV antibody (HIVR)
- NDSTKII (includes HBsAg, HBsAb, HBcAb, SGPT, SGOT )
Note: Call University Health Services (513-584-4457) or have the University Hospital Operator (513-584-7777 or 513-584-PAGE) page the UHS provider on call for any questions regarding appropriate medical care. You will need to follow the protocol of the site at which you are rotating regarding documentation, obtaining source blood, etc.
COM Needlestick 07272004 (5/20/05)