The Herman Schneider Quadrangle
The Cooperative Education Hall of Honor was developed on the occasion of the Centennial Year of the Founding of Cooperative Education to give a permanent place of honor for individuals and organizations that have significantly contributed to the qualitative advancement of cooperative education, both at the University of Cincinnati and beyond. The University of Cincinnati Co-op Hall of Honor is located at one of two “co-op celebration sites” on campus housed within the Herman Schneider Quadrangle – one on the east end of quad, and one new plaza on the west end.
The Herman Schneider Quadrangle was dedicated in 1956 by the UC Board of Directors to serve as a continuing reminder of the man and his work. On the occasion of the Cooperative Education Centennial, the Quadrangle was rededicated and expanded to include new tributes to co-op’s founder as well as all those who have continued his legacy.
The new plaza on the east end of the new Herman Schneider Quad (directly in front of Baldwin Hall) will contain about 100 square feet of granite slabs inscribed with the names of individuals who have furthered co-op’s global reach and spread. It will also contain a bust of co-op’s founder, Herman Schneider, created by local artist Anna Christoforidis. The reinstalled plaza on the west end of the quad includes a sundial, about 100 square feet of inscribed granite slabs from co-op's 50th anniversary; and a wide concrete bench, designed in 1956 by local alumni and architect Jim Donnelly. The plaza and the bench, which extends in an arc of about 15 feet, are both dedicated to co-op's founder Herman Schneider. Close to both new plazas will be new trees and new lighting.
The original installation in 1956 was a gift from the Herman Schneider Foundation, organized by Frederick V. Geier. The addition of a bust of Herman Schneider to the Quadrangle in 2006 was a gift from the Division of Professional Practice at the University of Cincinnati. Together these two embellishments to the University of Cincinnati campus provide not only a fitting tribute to Dean Schneider but also a point of reflection for co-op students and alumni as they pass through the Schneider Quadrangle. There is no more appropriate place to record the names of those who have significantly contributed to the qualitative advancement of cooperative education than within the Herman Schneider Quadrangle at the University of Cincinnati.