Conditions of Use
Although the NIC/UC assessment tools are available to users without charge, both the WRNA and the WRNA-T require intended users to register with the University of Cincinnati’s Intellectual Property Office in order to secure permission for use. This registration process is intended to insure that assessments are used according to their intended purposes and administered with fidelity to the assessment process. The agreement also assures that users understand that the assessments have completed construction validation research and will be undergoing additional research to further refine the instruments.
The registration process is as follows:
Intended users request to use the assessment. The request is made to personnel in the UC Division of Criminal Justice. The purpose of use is explained along with provisions for staff training and quality assurance -----Ashley Bauman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UC personnel contact the UC Office of Intellectual Property (correct office name) to formulate language regarding purpose of use and the role of the University of Cincinnati (if any) in the implementation of the assessment.
The UC Office of Intellectual Property transmits two copies of the letter of agreement to the intended user along with the signature of the University Vice President.
The user signs both copies and returns one to the Office of Intellectual Property.
Office of Intellectual Property sends assessments to the agency requesting use.
Following is an example of the language used in the permission letters:
The University grants to the [AGENCY] the right to use the Assessment as [PURPOSE OF USE]. Representatives of UC are available to train appropriate personnel at [LOCATION] in the administration and scoring of the ASSESSMENT as well as in the use of the ASSESSMENT for case planning purposes. Representatives of UC are also available to work with you to create an implementation plan and a quality control plan for the use of the ASSESSMENT. However by signing this letter, or accepting and using the ASSESSMENT, you agree to be bound by the following conditions:
- The Assessment is intended to be used as [PURPOSE]. The version we have sent to you is appropriate for [DESCRIPTION OF INTENDED TEST POPULATION].
- You understand that the current version of the Assessment has undergone construction validation research only and that additional validation research is underway at the present time. You are encouraged to check with the AUTHORS for updated versions of the Assessment.
- UC retains ownership of all materials delivered to you. You agree that you will neither make changes nor alterations to the Assessment, including but not limited to the changing of questions, adding questions, or deleting questions.
- You shall not disclose or transfer in any form either the delivered Assessment or any modifications of or derivative works based on the Assessment to third parties.
- You may make a reasonable number of copies of the Assessment for the purposes of backup, or maintenance of the Assessment; these additional copies are subject to the terms of this letter. You shall ensure that these additional copies will carry the copyright notice (Copyright © 2007, University of Cincinnati, Ohio. All rights reserved.), and will be destroyed by you upon request of UC.
- If you receive a request to furnish all or any portion of the ASSESSMENT to any third party other than [YOUR AGENCY], you will not fulfill such a request and will refer it in writing to UC.
- The assessment is the result of construction research in accordance with scientific standards in effect at the time of the research. However, because of the possibility of human error, changes in agencies using the assessment, or changes in assessment technology, the authors AND UC do not warrant that the assessment is in every respect accurate or complete, and thus are not responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of these assessments. UC makes no representation or warranties expressed or implied.
- You may not assign or transfer any rights granted to you by this letter to any other person or entity without the express written consent of UC, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.
- If any term of this letter is held unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
- The terms of this letter may not be amended or superseded except in writing signed by the parties.
- This letter supersedes all other previous or contemporaneous agreements or understandings between the parties, whether verbal or written, concerning the subject matter hereof.
- Use of this ASSESSMENT in contractual arrangements with third parties other than [YOUR AGENCY] requires such parties to license their use of the ASSESSMENT directly from UC.
- The use of the ASSESSMENT is restricted to the intended purpose.
- You certify that the users will be trained in the effective administration of the ASSESSMENT.
- You agree to credit the AUTHORS and the NIC for any use.
- You certify that you will not use the ASSESSMENT for populations other than women offenders without appropriate provisions for validation research.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless UC for any consequences arising or resulting directly or indirectly from your use of the ASSESSMENT.