Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon Program  allows UC to partner with the VA to contribute funds to our veterans' unmet tuition and fee charges when their tuition and fees charges exceed the amount payable under Chapter 33. UC can contribute up to 50 percent of veterans' unmet costs; the Department of Veterans Affairs will match the amount.

To learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program at UC, click here.

What benefits am I eligible for?

To learn what benefits you are eligible for or what options would be best suited for you, please see our Benefits page. It contains information regarding several Veteran Benefit programs including Mongomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehab, Post 9/11, and others.

What if I need additional funds for school?

Nearly all students are eligible for some form of financial assistance. According to the Financial Aid website, over 90% of the students who applied for financial aid in recent years received an award offer. You can apply for financial aid today and learn if you qualify. In addition to the application, the Financial Aid website provides great information if you're interested in learning more about the qualifications and the processes that you go through.

Note: financial aid cannot be awarded to students until they have been offered admission to the university.

What if I am unexpectedly activated?

Please read our Military Activation Policy.

Important things to remember during the academic year:

  • Benefits are certified each term separately.  Please take advantage of the Early Registration windows and finalize your schedule as early as possible.
  • To be eligible for monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payment you must be registered (excluding independent study or online classes) at more than the half-time VA pay rate. You are not eligible for BAH or Book/Supply payments if you are still considered "In-service".
  • Spouses that are still "In-service" are not eligible for BAH or Book/Supply payments.
  • Book/Supply pay is limited to $1000 per school year and is paid based upon the number of credit hours of enrollment. 
  • BAH pay is issued at the end of each month once the VA has processed the school's enrollment certification based on credit hours and the State of Ohio cap.
  • We will issue refund checks to students for any surplus tuition/fee amount after the school has received payment from the VA.
  • All scholarships or federal aid restricted to tuition and fees must be reported.  The VA is to be the "last to pay" on your student bill so all aid must be considered before we will certify you for benefits.  This includes ROTC scholarships, "TA" pay, etc...
  • Students receiving the Ohio National Guard Scholarship have these VA benefits applied to their bill first (once processed for the term) and any surplus Guard Scholarship payment will be returned to the unit.
  • Chapter # 33 students do not have to "verify your enrollment" with the VA at the end of each month to release BAH payment.
  • If you reduce your pay rate during a term, you will owe the appropriate tuition/fee money back to the VA - along with any BAH paid for the months following that date.
  • Students that create a debt with the VA (overpayment) will have the debt amount deducted from their BAH checks if not promptly repaid.
  • Beware of the "X" grade! The "X" grade represents enrollment with no participation in the class.  Students that receive all "X" grades for a term will owe the school all of the tuition/fee money since the school is required to return that money to the VA.
  • You must notify our office at the beginning of your final term of eligibility of your Chapter #33 benefits.
  • The maximum benefit you can receive is 48 months of full-time VA benefits with any combination of "chapters."