Surplus Management - Transfer Request Process
The Surplus Management Transfer Request Process is the method by which University of Cincinnati organizational units have surplus items removed from their areas and sent to the Surplus Management. The Surplus Management Department determines the means of disposition that complies with applicable laws and ensures maximum use of property prior to final disposition. The requirements and steps to be taken by the organizational unit are detailed below. Please review the Surplus Management FAQ for commonly asked questions and answers regarding the Transfer Request process.
Transfer Request Requirements (Updated 3/5/2017)
In order for requested surplus items to be picked up for delivery to Surplus Management, the following requirements must be met or the pickup may be refused by UC Moving Services.
1. Prepare surplus items prior to pickup by UC Moving Services
- Please attach a Transfer Request label to each item being sent
- Completely empty all surplus items (i.e., desks, cabinets, safes, etc.).
- Please send all attachments (i.e., cables, plugs, manuals, etc.) along with surplus items.
- Please unlock all items with key locks and tape the key to the exterior of the asset.
- For safes or any item with a combination lock, email the combination to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to shipment.
- All mounted items should be un-installed prior to pickup by UC Moving Services.
2. Special Handling Required...
- Hard drives should be left inside of computers and servers. (All electronic devices capable of storing sensitive information will be securely stored and then recycled with the memory devices destroyed once received at Surplus Equipment.)
- If forwarding loose hard drives that have already been removed from computers/servers, each hard drive must be listed individually and include the serial number per the UC Information Security Data Protection Policy.
- If forwarding electronic storage media other than complete systems or loose hard drives (CD's, DVD's, computer memory, flash drives, cell phones, or any other loose items capable of storing sensitive data), the items may be listed as "a box of XXX's" but the description should include the quantity and description of all items enclosed.
- Cleaning Certificates are required for all refrigerators, freezers, lab equipment (and other items as noted below). Items without the proper cleaning certificates will be refused at the time of pickup by UC Moving Services or upon delivery to Surplus Equipment.
- All refrigerators, freezers, lab equipment, and other items that have been in an environment containing biological and/or chemical materials must be completely emptied, cleaned, and decontaminated before sending to Surplus Equipment. For the required cleaning and documentation procedures, please see the Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) advisory at: http://www.ehs.uc.edu/Advisories/Advisory_7_1_1.PDF and attach the completed form to the item. Items without proper documentation attached will be refused at the time of pickup by UC Moving Services or upon delivery to Surplus Management.
- All refrigerators, freezers, lab equipment, and other items that have been used in an environment containing radioactive material must be surveyed and cleared by the Radiation Safety Office (RSOf). A survey should be requested by calling the RSOf at 558-4110 or from the RSOf web page at: http://researchcompliance.uc.edu/radsafety/ and attach the completed survey to the item. Items without proper documentation attached will be refused at the time of pickup by UC Moving Services or upon delivery to Surplus Management.
- All refrigerators, freezers, and other lab equipment that have NOT been in an environment containing biological, chemical, or radiological materials must be completely emptied and cleaned before sending to Surplus Equipment. This may include items located in a kitchen or break room. After cleaning, please complete the Usage Verification Form and attach it to the item. Items without proper documentation attached may be refused at the time of pickup by UC Moving Services or upon delivery to Surplus Management.
- If an item used or contained any liquids, including water, those liquids must be emptied and disposed properly prior to pickup.
- Waste items should be disposed properly. Beakers, pipettes, other glassware, needles, razors, other sharp objects, batteries (other than alkaline or IT related), paint, chemicals, chemical waste, and biological waste should not be forwarded to Surplus Equipment. Contact Surplus Management with questions and Environmental Health & Safety for proper disposal information.
3. Secure surplus items prior to pickup by UC Moving Services
- Do not leave surplus items in an unlocked or unsupervised area (i.e. hallways, lobbies, loading dock areas, etc.)
- Computers and other electronic devices that could potentially store sensitive information must be kept in a locked area until UC Moving Services arrives for pickup per the UC Information Security Data Protection Policy.