The University strives to divert waste from the landfill through recycling, minimizing waste, composting and practicing appropriate reuse.
- UC has been implementing recycling and landfill stations in a variety of buildings across campus that are working to create a uniform, branded language of recycling that is aesthetically pleasing and ergonomic for the user.
- For UC Football games and FC Cincinnati games, the Office of Sustainability coordinates recycling efforts.
- For UC Basketball games and special events, Grounds/Moving/Transportation within Facilities Mnagement coordiantes recycling efforts.
- During move-in and move-out, the Office works with a variety of different campus stakeholders to increase waste diversion through recycling, donating materials, and practicing appropriate reuse.
- Institutionally, Surplus Management serves the University in all matters relating to the proper handling of all end of life cycle assets.
- UC composts coffee grounds from Main Campus's cafe locations and combines it with dead organic matter that is composted from the landscape and eventually returned to campus as mulch and soil amendment.
- Post and pre-consumer food waste are composted at Market Pointe and On the Green Dining facilities.
- The Office of Enviornmental, Health, and Safety faciltates electronic and hazardous waste recycling and disposal.
For more information on how to recycle or otherwise properly dispose of more unusual items on campus, please consult the following chart.
|Televisions and other Appliances||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|CDs, DVDs, VHS Tapes||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Computers, Servers, Hard Drives, Monitors||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Rechargeable Batteries||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Printers, Scanners, Copiers||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|General Electronic Waste||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Furniture and Lab Equipment||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|UC Cell Phones and PDAs||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Toner Cartridges||Asset Management||Teig Farrell|
|Single Use Batteries||Environmental Health & Safety||Matthew Schnetzer|
|Lamps and Bulbs||Environmental Health & Safety||Jason Lambers|
|Vehicle Batteries||Grounds, Moving & Transportation||Beth Rains|
|Microfiche||Grounds, Moving & Transportation|
|Books, Magazines, Periodicals||Grounds, Moving & Transportation||Beth Rains|
|Scrap Metal||Grounds, Moving & Transportation||Beth Rains|
|Paint||Maintenance and Operations||Don Becker|