Explore Majors and Careers
Many people these days change careers at least once in their working life, regardless of their college major.
That said, it's worth investing time to explore majors and careers actively while you're in college, because it can:
- guide you to choose courses and educational experiences that will help you hone in on what you're good at and what you like to do
- give you a wider perspective on the world of work
- uncover fields or job titles you never knew existed
- let you reach your professional goals faster
- save time in the long run
Ways to Explore Majors and Careers
You can explore majors and careers in lots of ways.
On Your Own
- What Can I Do with this Major?
- Explore UC Undergraduate Majors & Programs
- Use O*NET Online and the Occupational Outlook Handbook to research fields and industries that interest you as well as the outlook for job growth.
- Research specific places to work:
With a Coach or Adviser
With People in the Field
- Conduct informational interviews with working professionals in fields that interest you.
- See how UC alumni have translated their majors to various careers using the LinkedIn Alumni Tool
- Attend company information sessions. In an information session, people who work for a particular company or organization come to campus to meet students and talk about the company, its culture, hiring needs and hiring process. Find upcoming information sessions in Handshake.