Bearcat Buddies Lead Tutor Program
I love everything! The connections, learning, and relationships are amazing.
Bearcat Buddies piloted a Lead Tutor Program during the 2018-2019 school year. 30 leaders met biweekly to learn from guest speakers and develop content for the general tutors in the program. Friendships formed, and the quality of the Bearcat Buddies experience was enriched for tutors and tutees alike.
The Bearcat Buddies Lead Tutor Program is looking for a new cohort of student leaders to contribute their talents and creativity.
Bearcat Buddies Lead Tutors will:
- Be the primary point of contact for tutors in their session, serving as a liason between the tutors, the Center for Community Engagement, and GRAD Cincinnati representatives
- Attend Lead Tutor Training and six Lead Tutor Meetings
- Serve on one of the following committees: Communications, Tutor Engagement, Tutee Engagement
- Facilitate training during the first meeting for the tutors in their session and answer tutors’ questions
- Facilitate a focus group with tutors during CPS's spring break
- Be familiar with their school and its tutoring program
- Manage sign-in sheets, folders, and other materials as needed during tutoring sessions
- Monitor the tutoring calendar, taking note of snow days, holidays, school breaks, etc.
- Introduce a new tutoring strategy every week in the van
- Check in with tutors on the way back to UC
- Foster a sense of community among tutors in their group
- Follow up with tutors who are absent and encourage accountability
- Communicate feedback regularly to CCE
Maximum 4 hours per week including regular tutoring sessions
Communications: Serves to increase transparency between tutors, the Center for Community Engagement, and GRAD Cincinnati by facilitating feedback early and often, implementing communication strategies, and writing an attendance policy
Tutor Engagement: Serves to enrich the tutor experience by building a bank of resources, disseminating tutoring strategies weekly, and providing opportunities for reflection
Tutee Engagement: Serves to enrich the tutee experience by implementing fun activities, soliciting feedback from tutees, and helping tutors think through individual tutee challenges
Deadline to apply: Monday, November 25
Leaders to be notified of selection: Wednesday, November 27
Leader Tutor training: Wednesday, January 22, 6-8pm
General Tutor Training: Week of January 27
Meeting dates (every other Wednesday):
January 29, 6-8pm: Lead Tutor Meeting / dialogue & committee work
February 12, 6-8pm: Open Lead Tutor Meeting / guest speaker & committee presentations
February 26, 6-8pm: Lead Tutor Meeting / dialogue & committee work
March 11, 6-8pm: Open Lead Tutor Meeting / guest speaker & committee presentations
April 1, 6-8pm: Lead Tutor Meeting / dialogue & committee work
April 15, 6-8pm: Open Lead Tutor Meeting / celebration & committee presentations