Students: Learn More
Check the "2022 UHP Discover Projects" Tab to Apply
UHP Discover is open to all students who are members of the UHP during the Summer 2022 semester (May 9 - August 6, 2022). This is a paid* research opportunity that will also qualify as two pre-approved honors experiences.
- We value interactions across disciplines - UHP students from any discipline are encouraged to apply and students may apply for research projects outside of their own department or college!
- This is a full-time (30–40 hours per week) paid research commitment. Please see the "Student Funding" section below for details on payment.
- Students cannot be enrolled in full-time classes if they are participating in UHP Discover. If a student is enrolling in a summer class(es), the student should not be enrolled in more than 6 credit hours. In addition, any class that the student is enrolled in cannot conflict with the UHP Discover research requirements.
- First and second year students are especially encouraged to apply, but the program is open to UHP students of all years (provided that you are still in the UHP in Summer 2022; students graduating in Spring 2022 are not eligible).
- Students will be required to participate in weekly professional development sessions during the summer.
- Students will be required to present their research results at the conclusion of the summer session.
- Upon completion of all requirements, students will earn two honors experiences.
- For Summer 2022, research opportunities may be either fully virtual, in- person, or in hybrid formats depending on University policies and the needs of the faculty mentor.
- Student information sessions will be held on Wednesday, February 2 at 3:30 pm and Thursday, February 3 at 5:30 pm via Zoom. A link to both meetings will be sent out through the UHP Newsletter.
- Summer 2022 project descriptions will be added to this webpage in early-to-mid February. Please review the project descriptions once available.
- Complete the online UHP Discover application beginning mid-February.
- Upon completion, your application(s) will be forwarded to the potential faculty mentor(s), who will then contact selected students for any additional information and to schedule interviews. Please note that you are not guaranteed an interview. It is a competitive matching / selection process.
- Students can apply to more than one research project (by filling out multiple applications) but they can only work on a single project during the program.
- Matches should NOT be offered prior February 21. Students have 24 hours to accept/decline a match.
- Both students and faculty must confirm the match via email by March 11 (to Marcell Crawford, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If successfully matched with a faculty mentor, students will be paid* for their full-time research.
- Pay will be $10 per hour, up to 40 hours per week , up to $4000 in total for the summer (note: no overtime is available). The actual amount earned will be based on the actual number of hours that the student works and could be less than $4000 in total. This amount is not guaranteed. Funding is unable to be provided for students who work more than their contracted hours.
- Students must develop their work schedule in agreement with their faculty mentor, including duration (number of weeks) and intensity (hours per week) prior to beginning research. This schedule will be outlined in a signed contract provided to the UHP.
- You cannot work more than 40 hours per week in UHP Discover. In addition, if you will be employed in another student position at UC in Summer 2022, you cannot work more than 40 hours per week in total between the positions.
* To be paid, students must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
For more questions, please contact Marcell Crawford at email@example.com.