Students: Learn More
Summer 2021 Applications Open in February
UHP Discover is open to all students who are in the UHP during Summer semester 2021 (May 10 - August 9, 2021). This is a paid* research opportunity that will also qualify as two pre-approved honors experiences.
- We value interactions across disciplines - UHP students from any discipline are encouraged to apply and students may apply for research projects outside of their own department or college!
- This is a full-time (30–40 hours per week) paid research commitment. Please see the "Student Funding" section below for details on payment.
- Students cannot be enrolled in full-time classes if they are participating in UHP Discover. If a student is enrolling in a summer class(es), the student should not be enrolled in more than 6 credit hours. In addition, any class that the student is enrolled in cannot conflict with the UHP Discover research requirements.
- First and second year students are especially encouraged to apply, but the program is open to UHP students of all years (provided that you are still in the UHP in Summer 2021; students graduating in Spring 2021 are not eligible).
- Students will be required to participate in weekly professional development sessions during the summer.
- Students will be required to present their research results at the conclusion of the summer session.
- Upon completion of all requirements, students will earn two honors experiences.
- For Summer 2021, research opportunities may be either fully virtual, in- person, or in hybrid formats depending on University policies and the needs of the faculty mentor
- Student information sessions will be held on Monday, February 1 at 3:30 pm and Thursday, February 4 at 5:30 pm via WebEx. A link to both meetings will be sent out through the UHP Newsletter.
- Summer 2021 project descriptions will be added to this webpage in early-to-mid February. Please review the project descriptions once available.
- Complete the online UHP Discover application beginning mid-February.
- Upon completion, your application(s) will be forwarded to the potential faculty mentor(s), who will then contact selected students for any additional information and to schedule interviews. Please note that you are not guaranteed an interview. It is a competitive matching / selection process.
- Students can apply to more than one research project (by filling out multiple applications) but they can only work on a single project during the program.
- Matches should NOT be offered prior February 22. Students have 24 hours to accept/decline a match.
- Both students and faculty must confirm the match via email by March 12 (to Marcell Crawford, email@example.com)
- If successfully matched with a faculty mentor, students will be paid* for their full-time research.
- Pay will be $10 per hour, up to 40 hours per week (no overtime), up to $4000 in total for the summer. The actual amount earned will be based on the actual number of hours that the student works and could be less than $4000 in total. This amount is not guaranteed. Funding will not be provided for students to work more than this.
- Students must develop their work schedule in agreement with their faculty mentor, including duration (number of weeks) and intensity (hours per week) prior to beginning research.
- You cannot work more than 40 hours per week in UHP Discover. In addition, if you will be employed in another student position at UC in Summer 2021, you cannot work more than 40 hours per week in total between the positions.
* To be paid, students must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
For more questions, please contact Marcell Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org.