Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The maximum occupancy limits are noted below:
- Studio: One adult
- One bedroom: two adults or two adults and one child under one years of age
- Two bedroom: four adults or combination of adults and children not to exceed four people
- Three bedroom: five adults or combination of adults and children not to exceed five people
The apartments at 222 Senator Place and the selection of Eden studios leased through our office are reserved for graduate students.
Certain individuals who are not eligible to lease apartments, but who are members of the Lessee's Immediate family (defined as spouse, child, legal ward, parent or sibling) or are a Lessee's domestic partner may jointly occupy the apartment with an eligible Leesee.
Domestic partnership is defined as a relationship that meets the following criteria:
- Partners are each other's sole domestic partner.
- Neither partner is legally married to or separated from another person.
- Partners have been in this relationship for at least six months.
- Partners intend to remain in relationship indefinitely.
- Partners are financially interdependent.
The apartments at Senator Place are not furnished. The units at The Eden include furnishings. The Eden units leased through graduate housing include double beds. Furnishings must stay in the unit.
The kitchens in Senator Place and the Eden include the following kitchen appliances:
- Stove/oven range
- Full-size refrigerator
- Kitchen sink
- Dishwasher (Eden only)
Internet and all utilities are included in the rent at Senator Place. Internet, cable and all utilities are included at the Eden.
Gas is not included because these complexes do not use gas for heating or cooking.
Tenants are responsible for finding their own roommates.
Below are the steps of the process between submitting an application and moving into an apartment:
- An offer email is sent to UC email account with specific apartment number and move-in date if an available apartment matches preferred unit type. Check your UC email address on a regular basis.
- The offer gives instructions for accepting the offer and paying the $50 application fee. All tenants are required to pay this fee.
- Instructions for paying the $500 security deposit are sent once all application fees are paid by the tenants in the apartment.
- An electronic lease is sent after the security deposit payment is received.
- Directions for key retrieval and any applicable paperwork completion are emailed.
The units at Senator Place and the Eden will be available on August 10 or later. Lease start dates will coincide with the date keys are retrieved.
Senator Place and the Eden leases end on July 31.
Possibly. COVID-19's impact on UC and the world continues to be a dynamic situation. Regularly check your UC email account and the UC public health website for updates and requests for information. Further details will be provided once they are confirmed.
In addition to the CDC guidelines, use the following steps to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 when moving:
- Maintain social/physical distancing as much as possible during the unpacking and move-in processes.
- Practice good hygiene—cover coughs, wash hands frequently and do not touch your face.
- Wear a cloth face mask.
- Do not let people who are sick help you move.
Secure your apartment and your belongings:
- Unprop doors.
- Keep your apartment doors and windows locked at all times. Close the blinds in the evening or when no one is in the apartment.
- Secure valuables, money and documents in a locked place.
Charges will be placed on the primary leaseholder's StarRez account to make security deposit payments and monthly rent payments. These payments will be made through our office's payment portal.
All tenants will be jointly and severally responsible for ensuring that the full rental amount is paid by the first of each month.
The Office of Graduate & Family Housing will determine the primary leaseholder in the event that roommates are not able to mutually agree who it should be.