Roommate Search Tips
Successful roommate relationships do not require people to be friends. In fact, a good friendship doesn't guarantee that the parties involved will be good roommates.
Reach out to your graduate program to see if there are other students looking for roommates. Your classmates may also be looking for a roommate or know someone else who needs one.
Below are sample questions to ask as you decide whether you want to be roommates with someone. Be as honest and specific as possible when answering for yourself.
- What time do you usually go to bed? What time do you get up in the morning?
- What does clean mean to you? Do you consider yourself neat or messy?
- Are you comfortable sharing clothing, food or household items? Do you have items that
- Do you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol?
- Are you planning on having a pet if allowed by the property manager?
- Will you be able to pay your share of the rent or other bills in a timely manner?
- Are you comfortable having friends, family or significant others visit? Would you be ok with them staying in the apartment?
- What do you expect from a roommate?
- Do you enjoy socializing or do you prefer to keep to yourself?