African American family moving a cart full of belongings

For new Bearcats and their families, moving into residence halls for the first time can be both exciting and anxiety-provoking. Our goal is to make this transition as smooth as possible for everyone. Here are some things you can do to prepare for this exciting, new adventure.

Be sure to check out our Room Decorating Contest. Bring your decorating A-game to win prizes and be featured on our website!

Family Move-in Guide

Your Family Move-in Guide has arrived! Use this information as you enter the final stages of your move-in planning!


Residents may begin reserving their 2-hour move-in appointments beginning the week of July 19. Process information can be found in Application Process - Phase 3.

Move-in Appointment Timeline
Date(s) Appointment Type
Week of July 12 Students can view their scheduling timeslot
Monday, July 19 -
Friday, July 30
Appointment scheduling by timeslot
Tuesday, Aug 10 -
Friday Aug. 13
Limited early arrival appointments, only approved for required academic programs,
international arrivals and extenuating circumstances. Requests
may be submitted via the Forms tab in the Housing portal.
Friday, Aug 13 -
Saturday, Aug 14
Local Drop-n-go between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Residents who opt for Drop-n-go may return for permanent
residence after 4 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 18. No appointment is needed.
Sunday, Aug 15 -
Sunday, Aug 22
Move-in appointment timeslots between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

What's Drop-n-Go?

Drop-n-go 2-hour appointments for local residents will allow students to get their belongings moved in and do as much set-up as time allows - before general move-in starts. They will return home and may take residency any time after Aug. 18 at 4 p.m.

Thinking Ahead

The move-in/move-out map shows parking (green structures) in relation to residence communities, as well as unloading areas. More detailed Google maps and coordinates can be found on the Parking website.


Father moving male student's belongings with a personal cart

Consider packing lightly - bring only what you need to speed up  your move.

Bringing a personal cart will help if loaner carts are all in use.

Recycle Your Cardboard

There are recycling bins located near each campus residence hall. Please use these bins to dispose of any cardboard boxes and other recyclable materials from move-in.

Maps of Bin Locations

Maps are available for each on-campus residence hall. If you live in University Edge, USquare, UPA, 101 E. Corry, The Eden, Bellevue Gardens or the Deacon, check with property management for recycling options, or use the campus bin closest to your apartment.

Move-in FAQ

When lofting is available, you can log into your housing application to submit your request at the "Lofting" step of the application. Not all beds are eligible for lofting. See space configuration and lofting/bunking availability.

Due to safety considerations, university policy does not permit residents to construct their own bed lofts or bunks for use in the residence hall rooms. Residents are not allowed to loft, bunk or de-loft their own beds.

All beds are set to the Junior Loft Height for initial check in unless the resident requests otherwise.

Yes, residence hall service centers will begin accepting packages for fall residents approximately Aug. 13. Packages arriving before that will be returned to sender. Note, due to the sheer volume of packages during this time you may experience delivery delays.  

The exception for direct shipments will be packages coming from our online marketplace, as our partner delivers these in bulk.

Amazon orders may not be shipped to your residence hall at any time. Instead, choose ship to the Amazon Store on Calhoun St. in USquare at the Loop.

  • 241 Calhoun St., Cincinnati, OH  45219
  • Phone: 888-280-4331
  • Thermometer
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Facial coverings
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Renter's insurance (highly recommended)
  • Desk lamp
  • Computer
  • TV/Video game console (Philo streaming service is free to residents in university-owned communities); Roku-type is ideal
  • Bedding - comforter, pillow, extra-long twin sheets (80")
  • Bath linens
  • Fan
  • Small storage container or trunk
  • Headphones/ear buds
  • Hypoallergenic, zippered mattress cover (extra-long twin)
  • Shower bucket & shoes (Dabney, Daniels, Calhoun, Siddall)
  • Hanging soap dish/shower caddy (Turner/Schneider)
  • Fish (20 gal. aquarium or less)
  • Carpet or rug
  • Toiletries
  • Posters & pictures
  • Hair dryer
  • Umbrella
  • Iron/steamer

The list below is not all-inclusive. If you are unsure of whether an item is permissible, please call University Housing at 513-556-6461.

  • Air fryers
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hoverboards or electric scooters
  • Power tools
  • Pets*
  • Air conditioner
  • Space heater
  • Broiler
  • Lofts
  • Candles
  • Explosives/fireworks
  • Hot plates or electric skillet
  • Hot-oil popcorn poppers
  • Waterbeds or water chairs
  • Toaster ovens
  • Woks
  • Grills or griddles (including George Foreman(R))
  • Weapons (real or toy, including water guns)
  • Weights over 10 pounds
  • Wall mounts for televisions

*Exception will be made for Service and Emotional Support Animals (ESA). In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act of 2008 (ADAAA) and the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the University of Cincinnati engages in an interactive and collaborative process with students in order to determine eligibility for reasonable accommodations for students living in the residence halls and campus community. University offices which work in collaboration to assist the student are Disability Services Office, Housing and Food Services as well as Resident Education & Development.