Social Change and Leadership
Social Change & Leadership Education is a broad component supported by all areas of Student Activities & Leadership Development.
The office of Student Activities & Leadership Development supports the mission of the University of Cincinnati by working to create an inclusive environment that celebrates diversity and enhances students' ability to become global citizens. SALD works to equip students with the following competencies:
- Valuing Diversity. Accepting and respecting different cultural backgrounds and customs, different ways of communicating, and different traditions and values.
- Being Culturally Self-Aware. Culturally, the sum total of an individual's experiences, knowledge, skills, beliefs, values, and interests shape their sense of who they are and where they fit in their family, school, community, and society.
- Dynamics of Difference. Understanding the nuances of cross-cultural communication and how to respond in these situations.
- Social Justice. Recognizing and addressing issues in equity and fairness by engaging in continual reflection, development, and action on the complexity of identity, oppression, and liberation.
We are excited to support UC students and the greater Bearcat community through our signature programs and initiatives.
RAPP is a 9-month intensive experiential learning program where students challenge, discussion, and educate each other on issues of social position and social justice - particularly race. Read more about RAPP.
The Emerging Ethnic Leaders Institute (EEL) helps first and second-year students of color develop their leadership skills. EEL creates a supportive learning community that enhances leadership potential, fosters interpersonal, social, ethical, and moral development while instilling an attitude of social awareness and responsibility. Read more about EEL.
SALD supports student-led initiatives which help to create an inclusive environment that celebrates diversity and engances student's ability to become global citizens. Read more about the Diversity Programming Fund.
SALD is proud to support the greater Bearcat community by providing student-focused diversity training and support services to our colleagues and students across campus. Read more about our Inclusive Leadership Trainings.
For more information on our Social Change & Leadership Programming, please contact us in one of the following ways:
- Social Change Lounge - 669 Steger Student Life Center - 513-556-5251
- Major Cooper, Asst. Director - 455 Steger Student Life Center - 513-556-1486 - email@example.com