Emerging Leaders in Student Affairs
Emerging Leaders in Student Affairs (ELSA) seeks to cultivate a landscape of professional scholarship and advancement among rising staff members at the University of Cincinnati. We advance the profession of student affairs through programming on student development, holistic education, evidence based practices in higher education, and establishing professional relationships.
ELSA is open to UC staff members whose work would benefit from increased professional development opportunities, exposure to Student Affairs research, and professional networking and mentoring programming. The ELSA advisory council includes representation from staff who are not located in the Division of Student Affairs, because we recognize that the work of educating the whole student is something that all of us are engaged in at the University of Cincinnati.
Our Values and Objectives
We value professional development opportunities; strong community and campus relationships; a culture of scholarship and research, especially around issues of student affairs and development; clear communication and paths for achievement; and applying theory to practice.
ELSA provides space for staff growth, learning, and engagement. We provide experiential leadership opportunities for rising staff at UC through work on the ELSA Advisory Council and on various committees. We offer professional development opportunities that focus on the knowledge and skills needed for career growth and development in student affairs. We plan purposeful networking opportunities to strengthen relationships among staff.
Connect with ELSA
If you have specific questions about these ELSA Committees, please contact the Chairs listed below:
- Convener: Chase Thornhill (Testing Services)
- Convener Elect: Anne Rohlfer(A&S College Advising)
- Past Convener: Michela Buccini (Learning Commons)
- Engagement Committee Chair: Lori Bishop-Ley (Student Wellness Center)
- UC Serves Committee Chair: Hannah Williamson (Learning Commons)
- Professional Development Committee Chair: Jaimie Biermann (Resident Education & Development)
- Communication Committee Chair: Abigail Duncan (Veterans Programs & Services)