Health and Safety Resources

Our goal at UC International is to keep students, faculty and staff safe and healthy when they travel abroad with the University of Cincinnati.

You have many health and safety resources available as a faculty or staff member, which we hope you will review and take advantage of during travel. They include:

Health insurance

UC faculty and staff traveling individually are responsible for their own health and accident insurance while traveling abroad. Prior to travel, check with your insurance company to verify that you have overseas coverage.

Faculty leaders for study abroad will be enrolled in the required insurance plan. UC International helps enroll the group prior to travel.

Health advisories and immunizations

UC faculty, students and staff are encouraged to utilize resources to be responsible for their own health and safety abroad. UC International recommends the following resources for country-specific information:

Medical and security advice

UC partners with International SOS medical and security advice. UC's membership ID is 11BCAS000010.

UC students, faculty and staff can utilize International SOS in the following ways:

  • Sign up to receive email alerts for medical and security information, customizable to various locations abroad
  • Read about travel health information with medical advice, food and water safety, and cultural tips
  • Explore travel security with personal safety tips and travel risk ratings for locations abroad

US Department of State emergency services

Register your travel through the US Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in case of an emergency abroad. This free service helps you make informed decisions regarding your travel plans, and helps the US Embassy contact you in an emergency.

International ID card benefits

The International Student/Teacher ID Card (ISIC/ITIC) is an internationally, UNESCO endorsed proof of bona fide student/teacher status. An ISIC/ITIC card provides a number benefits and services the world over. This card is optional for UC students and faculty traveling abroad.

UC students and faculty can apply for an ISIC/ITIC card online.