Take time to reflect and finalize the faculty-led experience.
- Notify UC International that group has returned safely
- Contact budget manager to reconcile program account
- Finalize coursework and submit grades
- Encourage students to complete relevant evaluations
- Share your experience with UC International
Reflecting on the Experience
Help students make the most of their time abroad, by providing time and space for students to reflect. Reflection can help students make important connections between the knowledge gained, and their academic, personal, and professional aspirations. The Forum on Education Abroad notes that reflection is a best practice in the field.
Reflections can be facilitated via class discussion, an assigned paper, blog, presentation, or other means. Some questions you might ask your students in facilitating reflectioninclude:
- What was the biggest cultural difference that you experienced?
- What surprised you the most?
- How has this experience changed you?
- How do you think your international experience will impact you in the future?
- What transferrable skills did you learn?
Ensure that students are aware of your course’s schedule and expectations post-travel.
Connect students with additional resources to expand on their international experience and encourage them to:
- Submit photos and testimonials to UC International
- Connect with the International Partners and Leaders group (IPALs) through UC International
- Volunteer for the annual Study Abroad Fair
- Visit UC’s Office of Nationally Competitive Awards to learn about funding for research or teaching abroad
Readjustment can be a challenge for students. Consider sharing these other health and well-being resources: