Campus Rec 101
Welcome to Campus Rec 101! Don’t go your entire freshman year without visiting the #1 rec center in the country. Use this as a guide to get the most out of your experience at UC. We’re here to help – ask any of our staff if you have questions!
2820 Bearcat Way
Campus Rec Center (Main Campus)
- Located in the heart of main campus.
- Includes the fitness floor with weight and cardio equipment, indoor track, gym courts, pools, climbing wall, racquetball/squash courts, group fitness, locker rooms.
3230 Eden Avenue
Fitness Center at CARE/Crawley (medical campus)
- Located on medical campus in the Medical Sciences Building, enter the building and take the staircase on the left by the elevators when you first walk in.
- Fitness floor with cardio and weight equipment, locker rooms with dry sauna, group fitness. This is a smaller facility than the Campus Rec Center.
If you have an academic class that says "Rec Center"
- If it has a room 3200-3258, it is in the classrooms above the rec center (you will not use the normal rec center entrance or swipe into the rec). Go to the staircase by Steger starbucks and go up. All of the classrooms are there!
- If it does not have a room #, it is in the rec center. Meet in the Campus Rec breezeway on your first day and look for a sign with your class name. Always remember to bring your UC ID - you will swipe in for class!
What to Expect Your First Day
Bring your UC ID and swipe in at the front desk.
- Go upstairs for cardio and weight equipment, racquetball courts, group fitness classes, track.
- Go downstairs for climbing wall, gym courts, pools, and locker rooms.
- It’s a big building, feel free to wander or ask for a tour! Don’t be nervous, everyone starts as a beginner. You’ll build confidence as you come.
How To Swipe In
You get UNLIMITED swipes to the rec! Come as often and as many times a day as you would like!
- Both facilities have the most visitors from 5-9 p.m. Try getting an early workout in the morning or at lunch, or visiting on the weekends to avoid crowds. If you’re looking for an energetic vibe, visit us in the evening.
- Note: you do not get guest swipes. Guests are $10/day.
- Never give someone else your ID to enter the rec. It will get confiscated.
Walking directions from the CRC to the Fitness Center at CARE/Crawley
Follow Campus Rec Policies
- Re-rack your weights
- Clean your sweat off the machines
- Don’t text and sit on a machine
- Return equipment rental items before closing
- Remove your lock and items from day-use lockers before closing
How To Re-Rack Weights and Clean Machines
- Premium Class Free Week 1/14, Registration ends 1/20
- FREE Outdoor Bootcamp: Returns next fall
- Intramurals: Registration for Spring I ends 1/17, Spring II ends 2/28
- Swim Lessons/Classes: Registration for Spring I ends 1/23, Spring II ends 2/26
- Climbing Classes: Registration is ongoing, check website for class dates and registration deadlines
How To Register for Intramural Sports
Suggested Course Materials
- Workout Attire (whatever makes you comfortable and follows policy)
- Water bottle
- A lock or locker rental. Free day-use lockers are available near the gym courts or on all levels with a lock (bring your own or buy one at Member Services). All items must be removed before closing. Rent a locker to keep your workout gear at the rec for an extended period of time, rent at Member Services. Never leave your items unlocked or unattended.
How To Use The Free Lockers By The Gym Courts
Let us help you feel comfortable here and reach your goals!
- FREE Fitness Floor Orientation: we will give you a personal tour of the fitness floor and show you how to use and adjust the equipment.
- Personal Training: personal trainers help you set goals and achieve them. They can help beginners get started with a plan or help advance athletes to the next level.
- Nutrition Coaching: nutrition is equally as important as working out. Get a customized meal plan and figure out what you should eat at the dining hall!
How To Check Out Equipment
Try something new!
- Sweat it out in a FREE group fitness class
- Try the climbing wall, it's FREE! Swipe in at the desk and the staff will show you what to do!
- Swim laps, walk against the current channel in the leisure pool, or relax in the whirlpool
- Take advantage of our FREE equipment rental and play basketball or volleyball on the gym courts or use a weight belt on the fitness floor
How To Go To A Group Fitness Class
Everyone gets an A!
Our goal is to see a campus community passionate about pursuing an active, healthy lifestyle. We just want you to come in and do what works for you!
Remember, no one is watching you, everyone is watching themselves! You do you. Dance like no one is watching. Lift like no one is looking. Run like you're chasing your dreams!