Cognitive Behavioral Interventions – A Comprehensive Curriculum (CBI-CC) is designed to provide a thorough intervention that broadly targets all criminogenic needs. As the name suggests, this intervention relies on a cognitive behavioral approach to teach participants strategies to manage risk factors. The program places heavy emphasis on skill building activities to assist with cognitive, social, emotional, and coping skill development. The curriculum provides modifications so that offenders with mental illness can participate, though it is not dedicated exclusively to this population. Using a modified closed group format with multiple entry points, the curriculum is designed to allow for flexibility across various service settings and intervention lengths.
Components of this 55-session curriculum include the following:
- Pre-treatment and Module 1: Motivational Engagement
- Module 2: Introduction to Cognitive Behavioral Interventions
- Module 3: Cognitive Restructuring
- Module 4: Emotional Regulation
- Module 5: Understanding Behavior Patterns
- Module 6: Choosing Behavior Responses
- Module 7: Problem Solving
- Module 8: Planning your Future
- Module 9: Success Planning
The curriculum also offers specialized modules that target common offender needs. These modules allow for increased dosage based on individual needs. Specialized modules include the following:
- Domestic Violence
- Healthy Leisure Activity
While the curriculum is free to use, training is required.