January 20, 2020 Minutes

Date: Jan 29, 2020
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: TUC 400 ABC (webex link distributed)

  • Call to Order 10:00 am - Chris Collins 
  • Roll Call - Cynthia Treacy

Officer Reports


  • Chair’s Report - Chris Collins 
    • Welcome Remarks 
      • 15th meeting of the Senate.  
      • 1st meeting of the new year.
      • Room issue – physical space and audio.  Let DAndre know.
      • 2 guest speakers (Ombud’s Office: Kimberly Fulbright; Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards: Aniesha Mitchell )
    • Announcements 
      • UC Be Well – Feb 20th - faculty & staff welcome.  25 points for attending.  There will be prizes for the first 150 attendees.
      • Blackboard service is disappearing – turning into Canvas. 
        • Same thing is true for Box. 
        • Both going away. On 6/30 our Blackboard contract expires. 
        • Your course materials will disappear. 
        • Box – Mon 2/10. Everyone’s files should have been migrated from Box to One Drive. 
        • If you don’t know, please ask. Make copies of your own. 
        • Mike Mitcham can get postcards & posters to you for your area for Blackboard 
      • UC Serves looking for site leaders. 
      • Midway point soliciting some feedback – 
        • Senate term has been in existence for 6 months. 
        • Committees are all up and running. The meetings are happening. The Governance committee, the service awards, etc. As Chair – can we provide feedback.
          • what’s working? 
          • What’s not? 
          • About how much time do you feel you’re spending on Senate. Might be helpful if we had a better estimate for what the commitment looks like. 
          • What are your thoughts? 
          • We will send out a survey, too. Collectively, do we all feel like we’re on track? 
        • Some questions – 
          • who is my Senator. 
          • Senators say I’m not sure what I should be doing to reach out to the people I represent. 
      • Loree Ratley: path of policy recommendations, accepted/recommended/modified. HR committee. 
      • Chris Collins: integrated decision making 
      • Heidi Pettyjohn: good job keeping the train moving. 
        • Powers of leverage is the BOT trustee report. 
        • Is it a rule? Is it a resolution? 
        • How do we get full senate support of what goes on BOT report? 
      • Chris Collins: currently the process is usually discussed at Cabinet. 
        • Committee chairs are best avenue. 
        • Could there be a formal process? 
      • Janet Staderman: Teneshia Dyer sends out info on Senate activity to her constituents. 
        • More apt to lead what’s going on in your own college – in this email, lists the names of senators in College. 
        • Chris will send survey sometime in the next week. Thank you again for your service. 
      • Next item – NLH UC Experience Survey. 
        • Senators have contributed to the creation of this survey. 
        • How faculty/staff/students feel about their place at UC. 
        • Survey is critical for Senate because some of the key benchmarks will be established, our work over the next 10 years will be marked against this. 
        • This is the first campus wide climate survey since 2014. 
        • First time that staff were engaged in development and the questions about staff specific things. 
        • Creating & deploying survey is easy, getting response rate is hard. 
        • Spread the word. President Pinto will be sending an email. 
        • Survey will begin 2/21. 
        • Invitations will go out. 
          • Please start talking about this in meetings. Let people know it’s coming. Prepare the campus – this is an important survey.
          • get some blurbs that we can copy/paste
          • this is an internally driven survey. NLH pathway owners asked for it. results are anonymous.
        • If you have enough people in your org unit to ensure anonymous (8) not get individual unit results otherwise, feedback will be provided back to departments & units. 
        • Important for decision making. 
        • Think about it as casting a vote of what you want to see change. 
        • If you’re under 8 in a unit are you still surveyed. Yes 
        • Heidi Pettyjohn: how will units be broken out? 
        • Carol Tonge Mack: weary of filling out these things because you’re the only black person there. 
          • If you’re in a unit of 20, and you’re the only black person, you’ll know it’s me. 
        • Chris Collins: the less than 8 doesn’t mean 8 people, it means less than 8 women or less than 8 other traits. 
          • Susanna’s office is organizing. 
          • How do they define org unit? 
          • How do they protect? 
          • Find out this info and share on listserve 
          • Get staff to participate. 
        • Heidi Pettyjohn: do they have disability? Chris – I believe so. 
          • Important as a senator to do this, and talk about it. 
      • FLSA – DDD listserve – there will be upcoming changes. 
        • New threshold for overtime is reduced $35,568 from $47,464. 
        • Some will be converted to exempt status. 
        • Central HR will be communicating. 
        • Changes will take place in March. 
        • About 350 people will be impacted. 
        • You can contact HR directly. 
        • Carol Tonge Mack: do we know what the income for poverty is for the city? State? 
        • Renee – supervisors are already receiving the notification. 
        • Emails came out. 
        • This month, everyone should be completely aware. 
      • Upcoming changes to alternative retirement plan and 403b plan. 
        • Will take effect on 7/1. 
        • Approved vendors for these plans are changing. 
        • All employees participating will have to make choices. 
        • Point people to the benefits website. 
        • HR will be holding town hall in April to help people understand these changes. 
        • You can email benefits as well.
  • Secretary’s Report - Cynthia Treacy 
    • Meeting minutes are posted online (7/31/19, 8/28/19, 9/25/19, and 10/30/19) 
    • VOTE: Minutes for the 11/20/19 meeting were sent on 1/4/20. We will now vote to approve those minutes. 
      • MOTION: Shelly Sherman 
      • SECOND: Mike Mitchum 
      • IN FAVOR: all 
      • OPPOSED: none 
      • ABSTAIN: none 
    • Monthly Report: 
      • UC Serves Save the Date – 5/15/20 (registration opens 3/30) 
      • Officer & Committee Report Due Dates 
        • 1/15, 2/14, 3/13, 4/10, 5/15, 6/12 
      • Changes in meeting time/locations 
        • Updated info is on Staff Senate Website 
        • Should off-campus meeting times be 9:00am – 11:00am (instead of 10-12)? 
        • 1/29 in TUC, 2/26 in TUC, 3/25 in TUC, 4/29 in TUC 
        • 5/27 at UCBA Muntz Hall room 170 
        • 6/30 at Victory Parkway Lecture Hall Auditorium
  • Treasurer’s Report - Renee Hargrove 
    • Present Monthly Report & Operating Budget Balance 
    • Dec 2019 – budget vs. 31000 actual 2049. 28951 for period ending 2019 Dec. 
    • No issues/concerns. Seem to be functioning and on target (better)
      • Staff awards staying below budget.

Committee Reports


  • Ad Hoc – Staff Engagement Pathway Committee: Janet Staderman 
    • Ad Hoc – Staff Engagement Pathway Committee Janet Staderman 
    • Staff Enrichment Pathway presentation at February meeting 
      • Open call for Senators to participate in the committee 
    • Staff Professional Development Day – June 19, 2020 
    • Equity & Inclusion Conference 
      • Proposal for session and host a Staff Senate table 
    • Staff enrichment goals & metrics w/ Staff Success center have been approved by Bob. 
    • Feb Shelly Sherman will present. 
    • These are the metrics of how well we are doing – directly relates back to our budget. 
    • Planning for Staff Prof dev day. Day is 6/19. We will need volunteers. Committee is growing. 
      • Marketing 
      • Communication 
      • Outreach 
      • Presenters group 
    • What should the sessions be, who should present? 
      • We are picking/choosing content this time, but in future it will be call for ideas. 
      • UCHR will match 1:1 from Equity/Inclusion grant – Bob & Tamie are supportive. 
      • Staff need/want. 
      • Registration will be open in Success Factors. 
      • Will be limited to 300 people. 
      • Sessions will be limited due to space. 
      • It will be in 5/3. 
      • If someone doesn’t want to attend session, but wants to come, all of that will be open all day long. 
      • Chris – looking for volunteers for what? Janet – for event itself. 
        • Directorial support, moderators in each room, helping w/ lunches, all hands on deck. 
      • Will work w/ Communication committee for sign up. 
      • Once graphic things get made, we will start promoting the event in UC Newsletters. 
      • That meeting is tomorrow, we will know more soon. 
      • We will hear about E&I proposal in the future.
  • Budget & Human Resource Committee - Renee Hargrove 
    • Senate Budget Procedures 
    • Update on Issues and Working Groups 
      • Proposal # 10 – Staff Retirement Association 
      • Proposal # 15 – TOFW Sick with Pay Incentive 
    • Templates for recommendations 
    • 4 specific recommendations that were presented to Cabinet, by next cabinet meeting will be recommendations. 
    • Highlights: 
      • Kudos to the Budget & HR working groups. They have been doing research. 
      • Policy review is really helpful. 
      • These working groups are very objective. Follow charge. 
      • What’s the best for everyone. 
      • How to move forward. 
      • Another one regarding Emeriti. 
      • Did not meet in Jan. They have a 1 pg template. 
      • Pass through cabinet. 
      • Evaluative points. 
      • Risks/challenges. 
      • They will be introducing that in the coming month. 
      • Budget & procedures for upcoming budget hearings. 
      • We haven’t heard yet about submitting our budget yet. 
      • All funds budgeting happening now. 
      • End of Feb/early March is when they request budgets. 
      • Professional Development will be included or a process of how we can offer funds to staff across campus. 
      • Still waiting for response on setting up gift fund for Senate. 
      • Hard to get an exception through Foundation. 
      • We want to open up a discretionary fund.
  • Communication & Recognition Committee - Christine Gilliam 
    • Staff Recognition Event – After-Event Debrief 
    • Staff Professional Development Day – Volunteers needed 
    • Issues with Staff Senate Request to Speak form 
    • VOTE: Adoption of the Staff Senate Communication Rubric & Plan 
      • MOTION: Jasmine Burno 
      • SECOND: Melissa Berling 
      • IN FAVOR: all 
      • OPPOSED: none 
      • ABSTAIN: none 
    • Thanks to staff recognition group – it was a success, got great feedback. 
      • Group will make recommendations for improvement for next year to make a template for next year’s committee. 
    • Proposed a plan for senate for communications. 
      • Took feedback, made tweaks. 
      • Added goal 4 – develop consistent messages from Chair to Staff. 
      • Quarterly email, disseminated to all staff. 
      • We will try to operationalize that. 
      • We want to communicate our successes more regularly to a wider audience. 
    • Rubric – we provided a channel, owner of channel, contact, and criteria. 
    • Went through rubric – this document will change as we change. 
    • Nicole Blount: MB Riley listserv – approval has to go through Bob/Pat. Christy - we talked about this. It will go through the Chair and the Chair will send to Bob/Pat for approval. 
    • Approved. We will now operationalize the things that are in the rubric! 
    • This committee will. 2/20 UC Be Well – we'll have a table.
  • Governance Committee - Daniel Brummet
    • Cabinet member nomination and election process 
    • Creation of a Chair-Elect position and rotation of cabinet members 
    • Update on Issues 
      • Proposal # 30 – Student Safety – Bird Scooters 
    • Vague report filed this month, but the committee did have a great discussion. 
      • Ultimately, they are moving forward but did not conclude on anything. 
    • Specific – cabinet nomination, officer nomination. 
      • Little guidance. 
      • Continuity at officer level. 
      • The way guidelines, 4 of 5 people would change. 
      • Is this what we want. Can we stagger? Could we replace 1-2 every year instead? 
      • Currently, Lacey is Vice Chair. She will hold this role for this year & next. Potentially changing from Vice Chair to Chair Elect. Voted on by Senate. 
      • Be vice chair, then or 1-2-year term, be chair, then past chair. Nomination of those positions – do you have to be a senator to run for office? And when do we vote? 
      • Asked the cabinet for this committee to bring a proposal next month, they meet again tomorrow. 
    • Another topic – Dr. Filak is Dean of COM. 
      • Does COM report to Provost or not? Impacts Senate. 
      • Provost 28 seats that would roll up. 
      • One thing to caution, even if we do make conclusions, it may be too late in the process to incorporate changes into election platform. 
      • It may not be in effect until 2 years out elections. 
    • Update - #30 – Qasim is added to task force where he represents 
      • Senate on that task force. 
    • If you have thoughts on cabinet selections, please send to Daniel. They will have an extensive report next month.
  • Information Technology Committee: Brittany Bibb
    • Staff Senate Nominations & Election Systems
    • Staff Senate page on Bearcat Landing
    • Bearcats Landing will have Intranet site for Staff Senate.  
    • Jordan will attend a meeting over the summer to get this moving.  
    • Chris will come to next IT meeting.  
    • Next meeting is 2/4.  
    • Matt Williams is going to come and talk about Infosec.  
    • It committee vs communications committee.  
      • IT is responsible for the container; 
      • Communications is responsible for the content.  
    • They will collaborate in the future.  
    • We are in the earlier groups for Bearcats Landing.
  • Membership & Elections:  Lacey McCarthy
    • Updates to the Committee webpage 
    • Staff Senate Nominations & Election 2020 
      • Recruiting nominees 
      • Timeline and Calendar of Events 
      • Campaign policies and guidelines 
      • Nominee information/training sessions 
    • Nomination process for Committee Representation – Draft Templates 
      • Senate Staff Committee Representation- Request for Representation 
      • Auto Response for Submission of Request for Representation 
      • Senate Staff Committee Representations- Nomination Workflow 
      • Auto Response for Submission of Nomination 
      • Communication for Chosen Staff Representation 
      • Communication for Staff Not chosen as Representation 
      • Staff Representation Committee Report Template 
    • New Senator Orientation 2020 
    • Committee reps are updated on website. 
    • Final approval of processes for committee representation request & nomination process. 
      • Central IT costs too much, but we want to put things into place for things that work past us. 
      • We want to get it right. 
    • Nomination requests start 3/15. 
      • We will recruit for nominees in the next few weeks. 
      • 3/16 is Monday, that’s when nominations will open. 
      • Ballot will be due 5/4 (5/5). 
      • We have to do this thing all over again. 
      • We need to market this – we will meet with Communications to tell everyone about Senate.

Senate Business


  • Old Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Online form for Guest Speaker Requests – February 2020 
      • Public Safety – Alertus Program – Ed Dadosky 
    • Proposal Form Submissions – No updates this month 
    • Guest speaker – Ed Dadosky. 
      • Cindy will follow up to make sure he can speak in Feb 
    • Proposal #30 closed – Bird Scooters – 
      • expect in Feb meeting, lots of proposals may be presented and voted on. 
      • Committee chairs have been given due date of 2/14 for anything that will be discussed in the Feb. meeting. 
    • Quick reminder – issues/proposals - where to find responses. 
      • Chris showed where to find the shared file. 
      • One Drive and SharePoint will get you to Staff Senate Documents, the folder for THIS term, right at that root level, all spreadsheets are there. 
      • Everyone can view this. if you open up the spreadsheet, you can see status. 
      • There are links. 
      • Hiding closed because of how much this is growing. 
      • Links to responses that we sent. 
      • If it’s adopted/pending/closed/etc. 
      • Storing similar proposals in folders. 
      • We may need to update FAQs so HR knows what kind of questions are being asked. 
      • We can explore all of this when we have Bearcats Landing when we can do more Intranet work.

 

  • New Business (new proposals submitted)
    • Proposal # 34 – Concern Sent to A&S Board 
    • Proposal # 35 – Dealing with Growth & Serving the City 
    • Proposal # 36 – Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave 
    • Proposal # 37 – Staff Survey 
    • Proposal # 38 – Outstanding First Year Award for Staff & UC Serves

 

  • Adjourn (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Adjourn – VOTE - Chris Collins
      • MOTION:  Qasim McCreagh
      • SECOND:  Debrah Myree
      • IN FAVOR:  All 
      • OPPOSED:  none 
      • ABSTAIN:  none
    • Adjourned - 11:30 a.m.