August 28, 2019 Minutes

Date: August 28, 2019
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Location: TUC, 400 ABC

  • Call to Order 9:59am - Chris Collins 
  • Roll Call - Cynthia Treacy

Officer Reports


  • Chair’s Report - Chris Collins 
    • Welcome Remarks 
      • Meetings first week of school – motion try not to schedule meetings during this time. 
      • Room set up – this is what we are stuck with – fire codes. 
      • Thanks for coming 
      • Media coverage about record breaking enrollment 
      • 46K students (8K undergrad) 
      • New buildings, copies of agenda in back of room 
      • Dandre will print out agenda, it’s on you to print out supplemental materials 
      • Microphones – we have table mics and handheld mics (we’re trying to record on webex) 
    • Announcements 
      • FEC Soft Opening 9/9/19, - 5th floor (9/27 ribbon cutting) 
      • We included this section to keep up with everything and sharing with each other for high level events 
        • Communiversity Open House 9/10/19
      • Milestone – instructors, students, opening up – food, drink, live music. Victory parkway 5:30-7:30. 
        • Culinary instructor providing food. fun celebration and op for university ot reach out. 
        • RSVP is helpful 
      • President’s Football Tailgate 9/14/19 
        • Staff Senate is invited (Saturday) 
      • Wed 9/11 5:30am – stair run, run kicks off at 6:46, registration. t-shirt 10. In Nippert Stadium 
      • Office 365 
        • Brief Review & Demo Brief Demo – Jordan Menefeld we’ll prob schedule staff training. 
        • Staff success center has classes Using WEBMAIL client. 
        • Easiest way to locate is through the GRID ICON in top left. 
        • If you’re not doing a lot of meeting things, it is easier to use web client. 
        • Pop open aps on left side. Three little dots – open in new table. Everything is in Sharepoint. You’ll see all the teams you belong to We are consolidating duplicate files – but it looks like everyone is using root level committee folders. 
        • Christine – if I upload a file into Teams on committee, where will that show up? That will show up in the ROOT level for our team. 
        • Folders are numbered corresponding with Channels. Everything’s new so we’re still working out process. 
        • When people can see your work product, it increases credibility 
        • Same GRID menu at top left appears TEAMS, SHAREPOINT and ONE DRIVE are all going to the same place as long as you’re putting it into the Teams file structure 
        • Brittany – Could you mention teams and channels? We may need a deeper dive – but in general Teams is a new tool and we haven’t established business norms about how we use Teams yet. 
        • NOTE: There are no private Teams – all of the channels are visable to all members. Your channels are bolded if there are messages for you to see. It doesn’t push me a notification. A notice will go to your phone. @Chris will send you a notification. 
        • Jordan – recommended download the APP - and/or desktop – will download it to your computer. 
        • Classes available in Success Factors. Wanted to make sure everyone can find things (and where things should bw uploaded) 
      • Board of Trustees 8/27/19 meeting 
        • We now have rep at BOT meetings 
        • Meeting was in COB building 
        • Report this month was brief It’s in the Staff Senate agenda in today’s meeting materials (listed off the things she reported) Items at meeting: 
          • Tuition Remission rule and Time Off Work rule (cc/paste this section from script) 
          • When does this go into effect? It may be JAN 2020 for Spring Term
          • Law is part of Tuition Remission 
      • Be Well event 9/24/19 11a – 2p 
      • NLH Staff Engagement Pathway meeting 
        • Metrics & Goals Survey Coordination 
        • How does Staff Senate fit into NLH framework? 
        • Three platforms 
          • Staff Senate was created as an initiative under Staff Engagement Pathway 
          • Shelly Sherman – we are asked to report on metrics We’ve had meetings with Tami Grunow and Jessica Donovon – THERE IS AN EXPECTATION TO CONTRIBUTE TO these priorities This should be on our conversation agenda! 
          • We have a month to get back to the about metrics 
          • By our next meeting, we want to report back these engagement measures 
          • SHELLY – we're getting our arms around metrics, headed in new direction, ideas of how to move forward to complete goals, new to the dance, are there specific things that 
          • Committees want to work on to FEED INTO these metrics. 
          • This is a 1-5 year timeframe. 
          • We’re looking ot engage people – working with people to find out what’s already doing being done in this area Janet – would also add that the implications of what this will have on our BUDGET requests in the future If we can spend a month defining how do we want to be measured, think about how does that relate to our budget request? 
            • Example – Professional development funds – if we can prove Cindy – work is being done in areas in of university. 
          • Do we need to align measures with the work of defining these measures?
            •  Janet has volunteered to lead the writing Officer & Committee reports due the 15th (not 3rd Tuesdays) 
          • Surveys – we're trying to do some coordination of surveys. Survey fatigue. Combination of surveys, 
            • IF your dept or unit is thinking of doing survey, check in w/ Susanna (Institutional Research) 
      • Standing committee meetings – Thank Governance & HR/Budget. Would still like to attend other 3 committee meetings 
      • Background info, initial priorities, (CAN WE ISSUE THIS VIA EMAIL, TOO?) 
      • Things are intentionally vague – committee charges might have questions because we needed more voices 
      • Changes to documents – go to Governance committee (bring questions) - we know there are changes that need to be made 
      • Intranet - (our public website was redesigned). 
        • Some things that used to be on the external site were actually more internally facing. 
        • GOALS: 
          • Streamline work processes and things of that nature 
          • Create more inclusive and university wide culture 
          • Improve internal communication 
        • Initial launch is 11/1. 
        • We will invite her to meet with Senate in September. 
        • Early adopters – HR (other campus wide serving folks) - in 2020 
        • Heidi Pettyjohn – ADA coordinator - cleaning up docs, everything on Intranet also needs to be accessible. Same as externally facing. No one for accessibility is on committee 
      • IT COUNCIL: IT Governance – group that oversees IT campus wide 
        • Nicole question – staff rep on search committees, may not be on Senate, but still staff. Someone they chose, not us. This is Mem Committee task 
        • What are the committees that we currently don’t have representation on. Any committees that you know of, let us know. Send to Lacey. 
        • This is the kind of thing that Lacey/Membership Committee 
        • These currently don’t have STAFF representation 
        • eLearning, research/dev, core services, IT/IT Managers group 
  • Secretary’s Report - Cynthia Treacy 
    • Present Minutes of prior meeting (7/31/19) 
      • Misspellings – how do we handle. 
        • Send corrections. 
        • Call them out here or send email. 
        • If they come out sooner, send email of corrections. We’ll get better. 
        • Conncet with Cindy via email. Sec will make corrections. 
        • Motion 
          • Quasim McCraegh motion 
          • Scott Page Second 
      • Mem guidelines and Bylaws – doesn't reflect committee chairs. Also need to define role of chair and co-chair. We need to have these more structured. Going forward, the chairs will 
      • Carol – import to get training – what she continues to learn. What people think they know but they don’t know. We need to be on same page. Teams mean this. Sharepoint means this. How do we chat. 
      • A few sessions – this would be a good use of our time. We need to champion all of the tools. 
      • Gary – tools are editable. 
      • Brittany – also want to go more in depth 0 what is the appropriate way to talk in Teams? Establish norms. 
      • Close to Clermont for September 
      • Outlook invitations – send to individuals – THIS SHOULD BE ON PERSONAL CALENDAR! 
        • We will look into why it’s not in outlook. Combine views in Outlook. Hence the need for training! 
        • We will make sure you have a personal invite. We will fix what’s wrong 
      • Clermont September and Nippert in October 
      • Scott – proposal – move meeting up or back in the day if Clermont. 8:30am or 3p (start day or end day). This should be protocol for off campus meetings? Lacey – we do this every month. 
        • Committee Chairs attend Cabinet meetings (3rd Thurs of month) 
        • Office365 Training for Senators 
        • Meeting locations for 9/25 and 10/30 are TBD – will resolve
  • Treasurer’s Report - Renee Hargrove 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Ending 7/20 - highlights 
    • Budget 29274 
    • Actuals 620 – this is an Fy19 expense that impacts the current budget 
    • This is our first fiscal period shows a variance because budgets have not yet been released 
    • No other issues 
    • Questions – do we have a fund with the Foundation? Melissa Berling – set up fund to give back to ourselves through donation campaign.

Committee Reports


  • Budget & Human Resource Committee - Renee Hargrove 
    • Present Monthly 
    • Report Met 8/7/19, will meet again first week of September 
    • Committee Roles 
    • Process to review and respond to suggestions 
    • Staff time donation suggestion 
    • Highlights – understand responsibilities 
    • Understand that MOST of the suggestions that have come in will go to this committee 
    • We are NOT a collective bargaining unit 
    • Encouraged to use Office 365 tools – training will be wonderful 
    • Established roles Sec, person who will second and created Working Groups (because the suggestions coming in have themes)- spent time working on process. 
      • How do we look at these, analyze them and report back HR Policies, Finance and Board Ruling working groups 
      • Policy first – recommendation to group 
        • This will happen in TEAMS Use Poll system – will it move to Cabinet 
        • Then recommendation 
        • TESTING this process. 
    • Started with one related to Volunteering time – focusing on THIS ONE to test model, make tweaks, then will move onto the remaining 14 (or more) 
    • Any questions or suggestions – let us know. 
    • Tyler Swanson – advising – committee they’ve built re: maternity leave – who could advocate for them? 
    • Tamie – that is a project for UC Woman’s Lead 
    • Board just passed TOW rule – portion of this Document this in the system 
    • Form for proposlas – feeds into excel sheet that we all have access to see 
    • Mike Mitchell – make sure you get their words if you’re going to submit on behalf of someone.
  • Communication & Recognition Committee - Christine Gilliam 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Met 8/8/19, will meet again 9/5/19 at 2p in UHall Room 454 and will Webex 
    • Be Well event 9/24/19 11a – 2p 
    • Communication Strategy/Plan December recognition event 
    • DISCUSSION (10 MINUTES): 
      • What ideas and thoughts do Senators have for the best ways to communicate within the Senate and with our constituents? 
    • Communication Strategy Plan Within (internal) and externally 
      • Asking the floor for the Committee that we can consider for the development of this plan. 
      • Renees group is a good model. 
      • How do we best communicate things? There’s a balance – we don’t want everything o flow through. 
      • What is that threshold? 
    • Calendar – Janet 
      • Create a form – ask staff community to put in what are the events that we have on an annual basis, so we have a repository and have a listing on our website. 
      • List on senate website Taniesha – going through 25 Live. Creating calendar ticketing system. Connect with Christy. 
      • 25 Live already lists events 
    • UC News, Presidents Office, 
      • What is the STAFF SENATE’S news vs. What is news that someone wants to amplify through Senate 
      • Send Christy feedback via email, come up rubric. 
      • Other staff senates at other universities – what are they doing 
      • HOW DO WE COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE WHO SUBMIT PROPOSALS? We should be clear about process because it could take months to take action. This process should be communicated better on our website. 
    • Meeting minutes will have update on proposals submitted from meeting to meeting – track progress
  • Governance Committee - Daniel Brummet 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Met 8/2/19, will meet again 8/30/19 at noon UPavilion 545 
    • Review/make recommendations to Staff Senate Election process 
    • Recommendations must be made by 11/12/19 
    • Urgency of committee 
    • Any changes that we will make to election has to be made by NOV 12 
      • Expect that next month’s report to have these 
      • Contact committee members with questions or ideas of any changes to elections 
      • How these changes impact the FY21 election process, and voted on by senate 
      • 12 changes that have come in (bylaws and Membership guidelines) Information 
 
  • Technology Committee - Brittany Bibb 
    • Present Monthly Report IT 
    • Committee met, but don’t have report yet 
    • Office 365 
    • Canvas 
    • IT committee Membership is different. 
      • Calls for staff member from many different places but doesn’t specify how to get those members. 
    • 9/3 UHall 450 meeting at 3:30pm 
 
  • Membership & Elections - Lacey McCarthy 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Did not meet in August – committed to committee – will not when we don’t have to 
    • Trying to schedule Sept meeting (trying for 1st Mon of month) 
    • Running election is most important 
    • Provide Staff ENGAGEMENT – on committees that represent Staff!! Not every committee will need staff rep. Not every committee will warrant a Senator. Create structure for this so in months to come, we have a rubric to say – yes we should have a staff person on there. 
    • Is there a difference between having Staff on a committee, but are they representing the STaff? 
      • Create a template for us to engage with other committees on campus

Senate Business


  • Old Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Senate Bylaws, Membership Guidelines & Committee Charges 
    • Online form for Guest Speaker/Presenter Requests 
    • Previously received proposals (via Online Suggestion form) 
    • We know changes are coming to Bylaws, guidelines and charges 
    • Janet kept track of list of things that need to be changed. 
    • New web form for speakers is now up on the website!! 
      • We need speaker requests at least one week. notice. Folks will have 3-5 minutes during meeting if approved by Cabinet. If you have anyone waiting to speak with the Senate – fill out form online. 
    • Proposals that were previously received 
    • Steps of process need to be added to website for speaker request 
      • Existing proposals - cc/paste from script 
      • Invite Alexa Justice to speak – proposal 12 – CHRIS 
      • First go around – get these all in the minutes 
  • New Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Newly received proposals (via Online Suggestion form) 
      • We will not read through these all every time, 
    • Advocates vs. Collective Bargaining Units 
    • REDISTRIBUTE the work to other committees 
    • We’ve had 23 suggestions 
    • And 4 more now 
  • ADJOURN 
    • Adjourn – VOTE Chris Collins Motion – Deb Peters Second - Nathel ODer 
    • 11:28am adjurned