September 25, 2019 Minutes

Date: September 25, 2019
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: Clermont College, Snyder Room 142

  • Dawn Hundley – Chair of UCC Staff Council – opening remarks
  • Call to Order 10:00 am - Chris Collins 
  • Roll Call - Cynthia Treacy

Officer Reports


  • Chair’s Report - Chris Collins 
    • Welcome Remarks 
      • 12th Staff Senate meeting.  Chris will be sticking around for Bicentennial training for VR experience 
    • Announcements 
      • Bicentennial Bash & Homecoming – Friday, November 8, 2019.
        • Save the dates for homecoming and bash.  Staff Senate may be asked to participate.  Put hold on your calendar for this day. 
      • 1st Annual Staff Recognition Awards – December 5, 2019 (Formerly was December 12, 2019).
        • 12/12 we’ll be holding staff recognition in TUC Great Hall.
      • Intranet Launch – November 1, 2019
        • GUEST SPEAKER (20 MINUTES): Michele Ralston, Office of the Provost
          • Michelle Ralston provided an overview of the new Intranet that will be coming soon. 
          • An Intranet is a website only accessible to those of us within UC, which will allow our public website to be more focused on external audiences.
          • The Intranet project has a number of objectives tied to NLH – inclusion, innovation & impact. 
          • Bring things together in one spot.  
          • Timeline – building currently first prototype.  
          • Hope to launch 11/1.  
          • Main Internet Hub, FEC, Staff Success Center. 
          • Working with Colleges that have existing tools and move them onto the platform. 
          • Secured vendor – Round Tower.  
          • Worked with them since July.  
          • Campus input:  engaged many different UC groups.  
          • Screenshots of first prototype.  
          • Things are integrated into one spot.  
          • NLH – people want to know more about it and how it relates to their day to day
          • Page (will be customizable in the future).  
          • Main navigation – grouping things by function | Secondary navigation | Landing Page
        • NAMING CONTEST – if you have a name for the Intranet, let Michelle know.
        • Academic Resources, Around Campus, Directories, Employee Resources, Tools. 
        • Office 365 boxes are up in top left corner.
        • There will be a search function.
        • Tools come & go.
        • Purpose is to cut down on over usage of email
        • How do we get something added to this list?
          • Michelle in process of creating governance committee for that.
        • Just for faculty/staff?  Students? 
          • This is just for fac & staff, student will be rolled out.
        • Rollout will be launched during Open Enrollment. 
      • Staff Enrichment Ad Hoc Committee:   NLH Staff Enrichment Pathway. 
        • Senate was created itself under NLH under Staff Pathway along w/ Staff Success Center.
        • Shelly & Chris are now being asked on update on METRICS and STRATEGIC PLAN between all Staff Enrichment entities. 
          • Chris has been meeting w/ all other entity leaders.
          • Janet Staderman volunteered to do working draft of our METRICS & Strategic Plan. 
          • Shelly is co-chairing this ad hoc committee. 
        • By our next meeting, they will have docs to present to Full Senate
        • All pathways are looking to establish baseline metrics. 
        • How engaged do staff feel today?
          • Need to establish baseline: First thought – survey.
          • There may be an NLH Climate Survey where we could contribute a few questions in ONE survey.  
          • If your dept/unit planning on survey, get in touch with Susanna (or Chris).  
            • Shelly & Chris contributed questions to climate survey.  
          • Reducing overlap.  
          • All this info will be shared on One Drive.  
      • Collective Bargaining Question - draft language to be put as FAQ on website
        • What’s the difference between Senate & Bargaining Unit
          • Article 1, Section 2 – we are NOT a bargaining unit.  
          • Quoted bylaws.  Draft language that Chris wants included in minutes:  
            • difference between ADVOCATING for and NEGOTIATING for.  
            • Senate is advocate and forum to help us communicate concerns/issues.  
            • Senate is advisory body to leadership.  
            • Bargaining units negotiate on behalf of their members.  
            • We are developing language that will be put in our FAQ online so we can all communicate the same message.
  • Secretary’s Report - Cynthia Treacy 
    • Present Minutes of prior meeting  (8/28/19), distributed on 9/5/19 to Senate for review
      • Meeting minutes now posted online (after Senate approves) - Thanks Kerry Overstake! 
      • A&S 4th Annual Staff Retreat was 9/11 - Connections & Collaborations
      • 1819 Cohort 6 Pre-Accelerator Program
      • Still on my to-do list – arrange Office 365 training for Senate
      • Summary of open proposals will be a new field added to monthly Chair reports
      • File structure in One Drive cleaned up a bit to remove duplicated file 
      • At Large UC Staff participation on Senate Standing Committees
  • Treasurer’s Report - Renee Hargrove 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Chris giving report – Sept 17, 2019:  $29,724 – actuals $620.  
    • No change since prior month.  
    • One-time budget not yet allocated to cost center.  
    • Current negative balance of $620. 

Committee Reports


  • Budget & Human Resource Committee - Renee Hargrove 
    • Update on Issues and Working Groups
    • Lorre Ratley.  The Budget and HR committee has formed four work groups to review assigned suggestions.  
    • Each work group will follow the same process: 
      • Review existing policies 
      • Search for benchmark policies from peer institutions,  
      • Send questions  to HR if further clarification is needed.
    • The work group will then present to the committee who will approve a recommendation to be forwarded to the Senate Cabinet. 
    • The committee is  aware that some suggestions are issues that are currently being addressed by are by HR.  
    • The committee will align their work with that being done by HR when it is related to the same issue. 
    • The committee will also take cost of implementation into consideration before submitting recommendations to the Cabinet. 
    • They had initially determined workgroup for first suggestion.
    • Peer institutions: there is a list posted to One Drive
    • Next Meeting is 10/2 .
  • Communication & Recognition Committee - Christine Gilliam 
    • Communication Plan & Channels Rubric
    • Staff Recognition Event – 12/12/2019, [note: this date was later changed to 12/05/2019] TUC Great Hall
      • Nomination process
      • Keynote speakers
      • Communication plan
      • Volunteers needed
    • BeWell Event – 9/24/2019 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
      • Yesterday - went well
    • Christy Gilliam:  12/12 Staff Recognition Event will be in Great Hall!  
      • Finalizing keynote & budget.  
      • First week of Oct – nominations through UC News.  
      • Collecting these online through Staff Senate website (portal will be set up on page).  
      • Seeking volunteers to help w/ event. 
    • Christy to Lauren:  Information about Bicentennial event that’s happening.  
      • Foundation reached out to Lauren for Bearcats Give Back program.  
      • Seeking donations for winter clothes.
      • Flyer to get the word out.  
      • This is happening in October.
  • Governance Committee - Daniel Brummet (Heidi Pettyjohn – Vice Chair)
    • Staff Senate Elections – Senator Apportionment
    • VP Area apportionment
    • At-Large seats – see Committee Report for full proposal language 
    • DISCUSSION OF AT-LARGE PROPOSAL (15 MINUTES): Heidi Pettyjohn – presentation
      • Questions/concerns that they talked about:
        • Effective representation?
        • Adequate representation?
        • What’s the role of at large?
        • What changes do they want to recommend for the next year? 
      • Priority:  Bylaw Section 3, Item 2.  
        • Important to remember that our offices are divided into various colleges, divisions and departments for a reason.  
        • Our functions are different.  
        • Our needs may be different. 
      • Wouldn’t recommend a lot of changes.
        • Keep 1/100.  
        • Keep voting open to all staff.  
        • Seats filled by most votes.  
        • 12 at large seats to be allotted in way to support representation from regional colleges and any unit reporting to VP over 100 or more staff.  
          • One at large seat each given to regional colleges (Blue Ash and Clermont), if they run and there is not already representation through regular process. 
          • Spot will be given to who got the most votes.  
          • After Blue Ash and Clermont, it goes to VP area w/ 100 or more who are NOT yet represented.  Will send this out.  
          • Remaining at large seats will be filled by people who get the most votes.  Will meet again.   
      • Open floor.  
        • If you didn’t run, you don’t get an at large seat.  
        • Nate Oder Grad school question – are we heading towards having representation for every unit?  
          • We don’t know what the road is going to look like.  
          • It is hard to identify a unit.  
          • Those of us on Senate need to switch our minds to make sure we say we are representing everyone.  
          • Some areas need to be narrowed in, 
        • Chris:  she hears a lot that there isn’t a representative.  
          • The staff voted.  If you go one level down, it gets muddy quickly.  
          • Charge of Governance committee is to do this ANNUALLY – going forward, there will be more opportunity as we get more datasets.  
        • Not solving all problems.  Not covering campaigns.  
          • Didn’t want to make major changes.  
          • A lot to parse out.  
          • Must figure out what is a “unit”.  
          • Priorities are the major difference.  
          • Equal rep is important.  
          • If every unit was represented, that would substantially change Senate.  
          • Since there is only one year of data, no big changes are being made.  
          • Inaugural group looked at peer institutions.
        • What are things that Senate is doing and how do those things differ among staff depending on where they are.
        • Brittany Bibb, which units have 100 or more staff?:  
          • Clermont, Blue Ash, then units that report up to a VP area that has more than 100 staff. 
            • Examples given but not full list: Building Services, Maintenance, internal med, Hoxworth, enrollment management, ITUC, student affairs, academic affairs, A&S, CEAS
          • Importance of saying the power of voting
        • Suggestion:  it may be helpful that in the voting system, have the VP area and the Org unit be displayed.  
          • So, voters can see their Org/VP area for who they are voting.  
        • Is there a way for members of senate to make suggestions to the committee?  
          • Email Daniel or Heidi.  
          • Use the ONLINE Suggestion form.  
          • Chat on Teams.  
          • Forum.  
        • UC Libraries requested that they should be included in representation.
        • Carol Tong- Mack requested: Whatever it looks like in the future, make sure the committee look at DIVERSITY.  
          • Whatever it looks like, make sure it’s ethnically and racially diverse.  ALL different race, gender, salary level, position level, something that will stay on agenda.
        • Final proposal next month
  • Information Technology Committee: Brittany Bibb
    • October is Cyber Awareness Month
      • Credit Card Protection Program
    • Proposal to post submitted Suggestions to Staff Senate website
      • Possibly put something in signatures 
      • Also proposed running version of comments/suggestions posted live – this will be solved when we get the intranet.  
      • Want to be thoughtful about how to make these live.
    • Josette Riep named as IT@UC VP designee to committee for Nelson Vincent.
    • Improvements to Senate Nomination & Election voting systems
    • 10/1 - UHall 450 next meeting
  • Membership & Elections:  Lacey McCarthy
    • 9/10 - met for first time.  
    • Currently working on creating rubric for committee representation.  
    • NOMINATING for committees – working groups.  
      • When requests come into Senate, this committee determines WHO from Senate should represent.  Chair?  Senator?  Staff at Large as Representative?  
      • SERVE ON COMMITTEES to be consistent and fair.  
      • Other committee is working on details around – are we going to keep a running list of AT LARGE STAFF who are interested and how we engage with them?  
      • Know that they must work on CAMPAINGING.  Working on the now – as requests come in to send members to meetings, we want to be strategic on who we send to meetings.  Want to be concerted effort.
      • There are other working groups that we need to be part of.  We need to start to parse out groups that SHOULD HAVE staff Representation but don’t.  We need to add these to the list.  Still creating the structure set up first.  
    • Meeting next week.
    • Heidi – if you are on a committee, do we represent Senate?  
      • Build institutional structure for staff representation.
    • Dian – can senators who would volunteer to sit on committee? 
      • List of folks who are willing and eager to volunteer.  
      • Are we keeping a list? 

Senate Business


  • Old Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Bylaws, Membership Guidelines, and Committee Charge Changes
      • Student Government example
    • Online form for Guest Speaker Requests
      • Minor updates
    • Proposal Form Submissions
      • Updates to existing suggestions
  • New Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Newly received proposals (via Online Suggestion form)
      • Want to find a way for someone to reliably see what is happening with a submitted proposal.  
      • We will have new proposals that come through
      • Share burden of proposals
    • We must actually read the roll call out loud.
    • Unionizing UC Staff – Chris will respond.  (there are unions already)
    • Professional Development funding – Budget & HR
  • Adjourn (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Adjourn – VOTE - Chris Collins
      • MOTION:  Laine Bloom
      • SECOND:  Brittany Bibb 
      • IN FAVOR:  All 
      • OPPOSED:  none 
      • ABSTAIN:  none
    • Adjourned - 11:38 a.m.