October 30, 2019 Minutes

Date: October 30, 2019
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: TUC 400 ABC (webex link distributed)

  • Call to Order 10:00 am - Chris Collins 
  • Roll Call - Cynthia Treacy

Officer Reports


  • Chair’s Report - Chris Collins 
    • Welcome Remarks 
      • Thanks to Clermont for last meeting
      • Blue Ash in May
      • Additions to agenda
    • Announcements 
      • All University Faculty Meeting – 10/31/19 2:00 PM TUC 400ABC 1:45pm – 4p Pinto & Nelson will speak, others that are University services will speak – OoR, FEC. 
      • Bicentennial Bearcat Bash & Homecoming – 11/8/19 Hold on calendars, no request for senate to do anything yet. Bash will take place in arena – 7:30 - 11 
      • Faculty/Staff Insights Challenge – App due 11/12, Event 11/25/19 - Forwarded email on Monday – related to NLH climate survey (see attached). NLH team looking for more creative ways to tap into the pulse of what’s happening with Faculty Staff & Students. Hosting 2 challenges – one where students will be challenged, one for faculty/staff. Will select 30 fac/staff across institution. They will come up with ideas that we could use! 
      • 1st Annual Staff Recognition Awards – Date Change:  Moved to 5th, still in great hall, waiting on confirmation for President office, 2-4pm. 
      • Required Annual Training/Reports Due in November  
        • Outside Activity Reports  
        • Information Security Training 
        • Accessibility Training  
        • Benefits Selection 
      • Heidi Pettyjohn accessibility training – please go to the website.   
        • If you have a role that touches or influences electronic/technology in teaching/learning and web authors, IT or decentralized IT, using student systems to communicate with students, etc.  Annually they train students/employees/guests on roles & responsibilities. 
        • Go into Blackboard, courses in which I am a student, takes 15-20 mins, due date is 11/5.  Will review completion in December. 
      • BOT meeting Oct meeting
        • Gave update on Staff awards event. 
        • Meeting was in Allied Health building, check out this building! 
        • Visits to branch campuses, gave update on work w/ intranet, ad hoc strategic planning committee, that month’s presentation on suicide prevention research was very moving. Interventions save lives, but only if people who notice/offer services. 
          • Check in with our students/each other – pay attention to our mental health. 
          • Know the resources that are available about mental health. 
          • Looking for mental health champions (message sent 10/8). 
          • They are hoping to have 80 applications – may be rethinking the program. 
      • Committee delegation of proposals/suggestions. 
        • We got a proposal to change how we’re assigning proposals. 
        • Concern was that budget/HR committee was inundated. 
        • Cabinet discussed 10/17 - decided not to make change at this time, vast majority of proposals were holdovers from previous year. 
        • We are getting 2-3 requests/ month now. 
        • Continue how we’re doing things now and revisit issue in Jan. 
        • Proposal – Undergrad gov’t to pass resolution to support food drive for Bearcat Pantry. 
          • This a presentation for comment, not for vote. through day before Thanksgiving. 
          • This will be our first electronic vote – before 11/14 - IT committee figure out how we are going to do online voting. 
          • Resolution: 20% students suffer from food insecurity. 
          • Bearcat pantry, fac/staff/undergrad/grad publicize donations, senates sponsor bear cat pantry drive. 
          • Open floor: Daniel Cummins: runs bearcat pantry – familiarize ourselves with the pantry. 
          • Bearcats in this community need this tool. numbers of visits to pantry is daunting. 
          • If you want to learn more, reach out to him, or student affairs. provide hygiene items and clothing as well as food. 
          • Have plenty of corn/green beans – they'll notify people what they need. 
          • UC Foundation – make cash donation as well. 
          • This resolution was requested by Undergrad student govt. Faculty senate will also present as well. 
          • Renee Hargrove: are we passing this ongoing or annual. 
            • There is no timestamp. 
          • How long will it stay in effect? 
          • The goal is to encourage in perpetuity.
          • If we have feedback or comments, we can provide it. Governance & IT will put for vote before 11/14. 
  • Secretary’s Report - Cynthia Treacy 
    • Present Minutes of prior meeting (9/25/19) for approval 
      • Motion: Deborah Peters 
      • Second: Melissa Berling 
      • In Favor: All 
      • Opposed: None 
      • Abstain: None 
    • Meeting minutes now posted online (after Senate approval) - 7/31 minutes, Aug/Sept minutes to be posted soon. 
    • Office 365 training for Senate – sign up for sessions online! 
      • Tuesday, November 5: Uhall 444 @ 1-3 PM 
      • Thursday, November 14: Uhall 442 @ 9-11 AM 
      • Wednesday, November 20: Uhall 44 @ 1-3 PM 
      • Please sign up in Success Factors, sign up for date you want to attend. 
      • We will be trained on how to navigate and use the resources of One Drive and Teams. 
      • We will also learn recommended approaches to using both along with features, answer questions, etc. 
      • You will definitely need DUO – please bring your mobile devices. 
      • email Jordan Menefield or HRlearning. 
    • Smart Staff Event on 11/21
      • Volunteers needed, lunch will be provided: https://grad.uc.edu/fac-staff/smartstaffevent.html 
    • Review of our Student Code of Conduct, committee is actively seeking input, please encourage your constituents to submit feedback on the SCOC online (https://www.uc.edu/campus-life/conduct/student-code-of-conduct/SCOCReviewProcess.html). 
    • Staff Mental Health champions needed - Fill out the short application on the Student Government CampusLINK page by Friday, November 15th at 6:00 pm (https://campuslink.uc.edu/submitter/form/step/1?Guid=be850bd6-843b-49b8-b48f-f47131467d53).
  • Treasurer’s Report - Renee Hargrove 
    • Present Monthly Report 
    • Budget has not changed; actuals have not changed. We have no changes. 
    • No issues that have arisen. 
    • Only matter is that we’re still waiting for budget to show up. 
      • Has been reassured that it will appear. 
      • It is there, we have memo to prove it has been approved. 
    • Student Affairs – Gift Fund – how to get that set up. 
      • That will go on our website. Work with Kerry to get this button added

Committee Reports


  • Ad Hoc – Staff Engagement Pathway Committee: Janet Staderman 
    • Update on committee progress 9/19 - ad hoc committee was added for staff enrichment. 
      • Janet, Shelly, Jordan & Heidi. 
      • Determine if our goals are really representative of what we are doing. 
      • Identify all UC initiatives that may funnel into Staff Enrichment Pathway. 
      • How will WE as Staff Senate measure our success. Staff Success Center has their own measures. 
      • A value, a voice and an investment – encouraged to grow professionally. 
      • Still in draft, will create baselines, will measure our success, 
    • Upcoming Staff Development Day – more on that as it develops.
  • Budget & Human Resource Committee - Renee Hargrove 
    • Update on Issues and Working Groups
    • All requests have been reviewed – report submitted to Cabinet for discussion at November mtg. 
    • Update on funding requests process and expenditure approval rubric 
    • First time coming together after defining working groups. 
      • Restructured into 4 groups. 
    • We’re learning about UC! Looking at policies. How deep do we go? 
      • Input from senate. 
      • There’s an addendum that lists all different suggestions. 
      • Reaching out to Arlitt (Childcare services) - met with board. 
      • Who they’re talking to, what recommendations they have. 
      • They will send something formal out. 
      • Bringing people up to date on Sibson consulting – compensation, job descriptions, worked with consultant this week – work that is being done. 
      • Performance coaching system – some on committee are part of the pilot. Rolling out to full UC in July. 
    • Send email to HR, Staff Success Center, mid-year check-in. Represented staff are based on their anniversary date. 
    • As a working group – how would we communicate to proposal originators? 
      • Directly and reaching out to those who we have additional questions/need additional clarification. 
      • New column says “status” so we can all see where committee is in process. 
    • This is live on One Drive – thank you to the committee! We look forward to your recommendations!
  • Communication & Recognition Committee - Christine Gilliam 
    • PRESENTATION: to discuss the upcoming Recognition event and what committee has been working on. 
    • Announcements: We received 96 nominations in 3 weeks. 
      • Group of committee and award winners from last year will review award nominations compared w/ rubric. 
      • Working on that. 
      • Announcements to award winners within the next 3 weeks. 
      • Will be inviting award winners, nominators & staff senate. 
      • Expecting 200 attendees. 
      • President Pinto & Bob Ambach will be there. 
      • Will be sending out invitations, so will need #s for food. 
    • Benefits fair 11/6 - Staff Senate will have table. 
      • There is a sign up for volunteers on the main page of Sharepoint. 
    • 11/21 - Smart Staff – table there, volunteers needed 
      • Reach out to Christy – they need volunteers 
    • Main item up for discussion: Communication strategy 
      • Communication Goals document 
      • 3 high level goals, objectives and activities that the communications committee will implement with our constituents. 
      • Asking for open feedback about this document – send to her by next week. 
        • Promote and foster efficient storage of senate materials – streamline how senate shares info 
        • Efficient communication methods – Rubric – outlines channels & criteria for distribution. Will add guest speaker form & proposal form to the rubric. If anything is missed, 
        • Promote utilization of web pages – external facing website. Provide relevant info and promote participation. Distributing postcards with website. Talk about where to find info. 
    • Chris Collins: communication is really important. Many different offices that deal with communication. From time-to-time, we want to communicate to all, but haven’t yet. What are our own guidelines of wheat to say when and how? It makes sense how we should communicate certain communication. Trying to make it easier to the next chair/other groups on campus to get their input/feedback. 
    • Melissa Berling: when you’re talking about postcards, connect w/ Staff Success center – get postcard in every new hire hands. When we had paper forms, connect w/ payroll to get a blurb somewhere or pop-up somewhere like on ESS or on our paycheck. Everyone would see it! New orientation, helping build that culture as soon as someone comes through the door. 
      • Physical sign on door that 
      • Communication committee create flier – consistent that looks the same 
      • In email signature Intranet – news aggregator on home page upon login 
    • Qasim McCreagh: Does Staff Senate have a logo? 
      • We need to be careful w/ word. 
      • Lock-up – meets branding. 
      • We do have an official UC approved lockup it is in One Drive. 
    • Heidi Pettyjohn – rubric – always good to give options, give stronger recommendations, be more explicit with preferred or required, communication will come from these channels explicitly.
  • Governance Committee - Daniel Brummet (Heidi Pettyjohn – Vice Chair)
    • First resolution for Senate! 
    • Daniel Brummett: governance committee met after Clermont, Heidi Pettyjohn did a great job. 
      • Ultimately, determined to make no changes to the recommendation to what was proposed last month. The resolution remains. Any eligible staff can run for any open seat. Look for apportionment of 12 at large, remains unchanged. Committee felt strongly that they achieved a positive result from last year’s election. 
      • Recommended to the Membership & Elections committee – impose character limit. Some were a few lines; some were a few pages. 500 suggestions, up to membership/elections committee. That is what the committee discussed. Heidi – also – this is an annual process. It is not the way it will be forever. 
    • Chris Collins – it is challenging how to best represent 8000 people. Thank you to the committee. Governance committee stood. 
    • Vote on Resolution #1: 
      • MOTION: Gary Devoe 
      • SECOND: Qasim McCreagh 
      • IN FAVOR: 46 
      • OPPOSED: Nathanel ODer 
      • ABSTAIN: none 
    • Next Governance meeting this Fri Nov 1 at noon in Linder
      • invited IT committee to attend as well. 
      • To vote online – need to figure this out by 11/14. 
    • Chris Collins: What is the required amount of time that is sufficient to provide feedback. 
      • 10 business days? 
      • Electronic vote – records name as well as vote. 
      • Could use Microsoft Forms? 
      • What defines a meeting? 
      • Important that everyone will vote. 
      • Need to have a plurality of members to vote. 
      • Bylaws may say different than 30 makes a quorum. 
      • Need to investigate this further.
  • Information Technology Committee: Brittany Bibb
    • On 10/1 the committee started gathering input from Staff to determine what it’d look like to see the Intranet. 
      • Decided they will wait until it launches. 
      • Different options of what you can add to an intranet page.
    • Timing out issue has been fixed for voting system. 
    • Setting up mock vote = they will try out at 11/5 in UHall 330 in room 450. 
    • Chris Collins: How do we participate in mock vote? 
      • Come to meeting – it is a good op to see how voting system works.
  • Membership & Elections:  Lacey McCarthy
    • Working on outlining rubric for where representatives come from when we receive requests for UC committees. 
      • Feedback from you. 
    • It will appear next month for voting. Reviewed other institutions. 
    • Chris Collins: number of requests she’s received to attend things is overwhelming. 
      • This rubric helps us understand as an institution – staff representation is built into the infrastructure of the decision making processes within the university. 
      • What are all of those groups and decision making bodies? 
      • New committees every day that we didn’t know even existed. 
      • This is a key responsibility for senate to do. 
    • Discussions around nomination process. 
      • online submission through our website. 
      • Committee is focused on life after current members – trying to think long-term. 
      • The committee requests change so often; ownership has to be on staff. 
      • Senate says – we have this opening, apply for it and we will select someone. 
      • Ownership of staff to be involved. 
    • Nominations for next year’s senate – campaign parameters/rules/policies. 
      • Reporting structures for committee reporting back to senate so we know what happened and that we’re involved. 
    • 13 list on to-do list that just involves committee representation. 
    • Melissa Berling: Is #2 form going to be dual purpose – self and nominate someone? Yes 
    • Lacey McCarthy will present this for vote in next meeting.

Senate Business


  • Old Business (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Online Proposal/Suggestions can be seen at on Sharepoint
    • Changing how we are updating proposals status since you can see progress of any particular proposal or request 
    • Online Presenter Requests can be seen on Sharepoint. 
    • Closed Proposal/Suggestions 
    • Ombuds will speak at Nov meeting
  • Adjourn (listed, including all voting items) - Chris Collins 
    • Adjourn – VOTE - Chris Collins
      • MOTION:  Scott Page
      • SECOND:  Qasim McCreagh
      • IN FAVOR:  All 
      • OPPOSED:  none 
      • ABSTAIN:  none
    • Adjourned - 11:23 a.m.