Electronic Dossier Content & Format: Step 3
PLEASE NOTE that nominee must be in at least the seventh year of full-time teaching at the University of Cincinnati as a (non-administrative) faculty member. Without this requirement no dossier should be submitted.
The dossiers, which must be submitted electronically in PDF format, should consist of the following documentation in the order indicated.
- the department head and/or college dean cover letter
- the student/alumnus(a) nominating letter(s)/form(s)
- In addition to items 1 and 2, no more than 25 numbered pages containing:
- A 1- to 3-page reflection, written by the nominee, that describes and illustrates the specific ways the nominee has created or promoted good student-faculty relations at UC.
- an abbreviated personal vita, stating past and current faculty status not to exceed 3 pages
- a list (not necessarily complete) of courses taught at UC.
- a summary of numerical and/or written class evaluations (optional for the Barbour Award).
- quotations (not paraphrases) from student letters/comments with examples of at least 3 and not more than 5 complete letters.
- quotations (not paraphrases) from peer letters/comments with examples of at least 3 complete and not more than 5 letters.
- any additional evidence felt important, e.g. involvement with students outside of class or with student groups, publications related to teaching, etc.
- An Appendix
All documents from which quotations are taken must be included in their entirety as the electronic appendix. The electronic appendix does not count in the 25-page limit on the dossier. Since the dossier itself is the primary basis for the evaluation of a nominee's qualifications, the appendix serves only as a supplement. The committee strongly suggests that nominees avoid the temptation to inflate the dossier by placing either redundant or extraneous material in the appendix. There is no necessary relationship between the size of the appendix and winning an award. Copies of books and offprints of articles should be not included in the dossier. The evaluation Committee is under no obligation to consider appended materials.
- The candidate should be very clear about the differing criteria for each award and make certain that the folder adequately states and reflects the award for which it is submitted.
- The 25 pages referred to in #3 must be numbered.
- Dates should be included on letters whenever possible.
- Evaluations from students and peers outside the nominee's area are useful.
- The criteria and dossier format are firm. All items must be assembled into one complete submission per nominee, including all information listed above.
Electronic Dossier Submission: Step 4
The electronic dossiers should be submitted via the online form. The dean should be informed of the departmental action. Electronic dossiers must reach the Barbour-Cohen Committee by 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 3, 2018 via the online form.
- By tradition, individuals who have previously won these awards have been considered ineligible to win the same award a second time.
- Having won one of the awards does not preclude winning the other award.
- Individuals who were nominated in the past but did not win may be nominated again, but are encouraged to update their files. (Nominations from previous years are not automatically carried over in the next year without new nominations.)
- Confidentiality should be observed at all stages; names of nominees sent to the Barbour-Cohen Committee should not be publicly divulged.