Report Auto Accident/Damage

What qualifies as an auto claim?

Auto accident or damage can involve bodily injury and property damage resulting from the ownership, maintenance, use, loading or unloading of a covered UC vehicle.

What to do immediately if a loss occurs

  • Call 911, if necessary.  If driver or other University employee is injured, contact UC Human Resources.
  • Cooperate with emergency personnel. Do not admit liability, but provide facts. Obtain copy of police report number from investigating officer.
  • Obtain full names and addresses of other drivers, passengers and witnesses.
  • Document the incident by taking photos.
  • Have vehicle towed if not drivable, and obtain name and phone number of wrecker service.

How to file a claim

To determine if a loss is covered under our self-insurance program (subject to $1,000 deductible), the affected unit must submit copies of the the following information, as applicable, via the online form:

  • Police, fire or other incident report.
  • Photos taken at the time of the incident.
  • Estimate or invoice for the repair or replacement of the vehicle.

Filing deadlines

  • Provide a Risk Manager, along with any other impacted units, notice of the incident as soon as possible and within 48 hours.
  • Failure to report a claim within 30 days of the incident may result in an increased deductible of $2,000.  Every 30 days extended, an additional $500 may be applied.
  • Itemization of the direct and indirect expenses incurred must be submitted within 60 days of the incident.
  • No loss will be indemnified if reported later than 12 months from the date of the incident.