COVID-19 Updates: uc.edu/publichealth
Accident and Critical Illness Voluntary Benefit Plans
Unum, UC’s Long Term Disability carrier, partners with UC to offer Accident Insurance and Critical Illness Insurance plans for our eligible employees and their family members
If you are a UC employee in active employment at least 26 hours per week you are eligible for coverage under either or both plans. Your spouse and dependent children are eligible too.
Accident Insurance - If an accident occurs, you may be surprised at the expenses that can add up. Accident Insurance is designed to protect your finances by helping you pay for the unexpected costs associated with an accidental injury.
- How does it work?
- Accident insurance includes benefits for a wide range of common injuries and covered accidents. If you become injured, Accident Insurance will pay you a direct cash benefit. The amount of money you receive depends on the type and severity of the injury and can be used any way you choose.
Critical Illness Insurance - Critical Illness Insurance can help fill a financial gap if you or a family member experiences a severe, life-threatening illness. This benefit goes above and beyond the medical coverage a core plan provides by supplementing your finances while you or a loved one deals with a recovers from a serious illness. In short, your medical insurance takes care of your health while Critical Illness coverage takes care of your finances.
- How does it work?
- Upon diagnosis with a covered critical illness, you can receive an immediate lump-sum benefit. You can use those funds any way you choose.
How do I file a claim?
- In order to file a claim under the Accident Plan or Critical Illness Plan, contact Unum customer service at 1-800-635-5597.
Wellness Benefits Available!
- If you have a Critical Illness or Accident Plan, you may be eligible for wellness benefits. Unum will reimburse you for part of the cost for some of the routine and specialty medical tests. Are you enrolled in the Be Well UC (BWUC) program? Your wellness test may also apply for credit in BWUC!
- Discover the Be Well UC Website!
- Wellness Claim Form