COVID-19 Updates: uc.edu/publichealth
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Rights
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may cover your absence from work for up to twelve (12) work weeks per rolling 12-month period for certain family and medical reasons. FMLA may be taken on a continual or intermittent basis. Starting on the first day of an absence, and if applicable, you must take all accrued sick time as part of the absence.
To be eligible for FMLA Leave, you must be able to answer "yes" to all three (3) of these questions:
- Have you worked for the University of Cincinnati for twelve (12) cumulative months in the seven (7) years preceding the first day of the need for leave?
- Did you have a total of at least 1,250 actual work hours at the University during the twelve (12) month period preceding the start of your intended absence? (Do not count paid or unpaid excused absences or holidays as part of this total.)
- Do you have FMLA time remaining from your twelve (12) work weeks entitlement during your rolling twelve (12) month period?
Reasons for Taking a Leave
FMLA Leave may be taken for the following reasons:
- For birth of a child and to care for the newborn child
- For placement of a child with the employee for adoption or foster care
- To care for a spouse, child under eighteen (18) or eighteen (18) and over if incapable of self-care because of a mental or physical disability at the time Leave is to begin, or parent with a serious health condition
- To care for yourself, if you have a serious health condition that prevents you from doing your job
- For a qualifying exigency which arises while a covered family member who is in the Reserves, on active duty, or called to active duty
- To care for a covered military service member injured in the line of active duty
FMLA Advance Notice and Medical Certification
You must provide thirty (30) days advance notice when an FMLA Leave is foreseeable. If the need is not foreseeable, you must provide notice as soon as practicable. If you are on an FMLA Leave for a serious health condition, you will be asked to provide medical certification to support your absence. Forms and information pertaining to FMLA Leave are provided to employees based on eligibility.
Job Benefits and Protection
During an FMLA Leave, you can maintain your UC-sponsored healthcare coverage under the group insurance plan. Contact Human Resources for details about how to do this. Upon return from FMLA Leave, employees will be reinstated to their former or equivalent positions in accordance with University Policies and Procedures and/or the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Use of Paid Time Off
The University requires substitution of paid sick time for unpaid FMLA, as appropriate.