COVID-19 Updates:

Separated & Retired Employees


Former employees of the university may choose to leave their retirement funds with the vendor, or may be eligible for other options including withdrawal of funds or a rollover to a different qualified plan. It is advised to check with your vendor for all requirements and penalties that may apply.

benefits puzzle

Separated Employee Frequently Asked Questions


If I leave the university and come back, may I then change my retirement election? 

  • You may only make a new retirement election if you leave the university and have a break in service of 365 days or more. If you leave and return within a year of your separation, you will default back into your original retirement election from your previous position at the university.

OPERS and STRS members should contact their respective retirement system to learn about the distribution options available at the time of separation of employment.

ARP participants should contact their provider to learn more about the distribution option available following separation of employment.

I am a former staff, librarian or student employee. How can I get a refund of my OPERS contributions?

  • Your employment must be separated in order to be eligible for a refund of your OPERS contributions. In order to begin the distribution process, you should contact OPERS 800-222-7377 or log onto the OPERS website at

I am a former faculty member. How can I get a refund of my STRS contributions? 

  • Your employment must be separated in order to be eligible for a refund of your STRS contributions. In order to begin the distribution process, you should contact STRS to request a Refund Application. Submit the completed application to Human Resources for certification. The Refund Application will not be certified unless your employment with the university has ended.

I used to work for UC and would like to purchase or redeposit service time from OPERS/STRS. How do I go about doing this? 

  • Contact OPERS/STRS to request the appropriate form. Submit your request and completed form in writing (via email) to Be sure to include as much information as possible - such as date of hire and date of termination (mo/day/yr), job title(s), any other names used when working for UC (for example, maiden name), and phone number. The request will likely take at least 60 days to research, verify and complete. The completed form will be sent directly to OPERS/STRS.
flying pig
Jar of Dollars


Information for Retired Employees

Retiree Identification Cards

Retiree identification cards are available through Public Safety.  Please allow five (5) business days after the date of retirement before requesting the retirement identification card.

  • Phone: 513-556-4925
  • Fax:     513-556-4940

Badge and Key Office (4 Edwards Center)

Hours of Operation (subject to change):

  • Regular Hours
    • Monday-Friday  7am-5pm
  • Summer Hours
    • Monday-Friday  7:30am-5pm

Medical and Dental Information for "Grandfathered Retirees"

The university offers retiree medical and dental coverage to those individuals who are participants in the ‘grandfathered’ 403(b) plan (Vanguard, Fidelity, or TIAA) prior to their retirement.  Individuals may elect coverage for themselves and their eligible dependents.  Retirees pay the full cost of any coverage elected.

Grandfathered Retiree Rates

Medicare Eligible Retirees and Spouses

The University offers two medical options to retirees and their spouses who are Medicare eligible - Comprehensive Medical Plan (CMP) with prescription coverage and the Comprehensive Medical Plan (CMP-ND) without prescription coverage. 

Medicare-eligible individuals may also choose to enroll in Humana’s Group Medicare Preferred Provider Organization (RPPO) Plan, a Medicare Advantage plan, instead of the CMP.  You may obtain information about this plan from Humana by calling 1-800-824-8242.  If you elect this plan, you must submit an enrollment form directly to Humana. Your premium payments will also be sent to Humana.

Non-Medicare Eligible Retirees and Spouses

For individuals not eligible for Medicare at retirement, the university offers the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan. If you are enrolled in a medical plan as an active employee, you can elect coverage in the PPO at retirement. Note that the PPO plan available to you as a retiree is NOT the same plan you were enrolled in as an active employee.

Retiree Dental coverage

If you are enrolled in dental coverage prior to your retirement, you may elect to continue coverage for yourself and your eligible dependents following retirement. Three plan options are available to you. Once you enroll, you may not change plans.

Independent Medical Coverage Elections

You and your spouse/domestic partner may make independent medical coverage elections if you are Medicare eligible and your spouse/domestic partner is not (or vice versa).

You will be provided with a Retiree Election form prior to your retirement.  You may discontinue your coverage at any time. Once you discontinue coverage, it cannot be reinstated in the future unless your reason for waiving coverage when first eligible was due to your being covered under a spouse/domestic partner employer-provided plan.

You may elect to have your monthly contributions deducted from your checking or savings account. This is a convenient way to pay for coverage that eliminates the need for you to remember to submit payment each month. You will not be billed by UC HR and it is your responsibility to remember to submit payment each month.

In addition to being eligible for retiree medical and dental coverage, you will receive information about continuing coverage under federal law COBRA. 

Medical and Dental Details

Retiree Humana Medicare Advantage

Contact Humana with questions regarding this program:

  • Member customer service: 1-866-396-8810
  • Telephonic Applications: 1-800-824-8242
  • Enrollment Kit Requests:
  • Completed Enrollment Application Fax Line: 1-877-889-9936

Retiree Dental Summaries:

Retiree Comparison Charts

Have More/Specific Questions? 

Click below for a full listing of UC resources and all benefits providers and vendors.