Next Steps for Accepted Students

Students acting like Bearcats in front of University of Cincinnati sign

Confirm your Admission

Once you've been accepted to a program, confirm your admission. Undergraduate students can confirm online. Graduate students will receive instructions on confirming their admission from their department.


Students Studying on a Status other than F-1 / J-1

If you are a non-immigrant visa holder (E-2, H-4, L-2, etc) you are allowed to study on that status. Visit our Dependents webpage for more instructions.

Distance Learning: Studying in your Home Country

If you are admitted into one of our distance learning programs, you will not be able to obtain a visa to enter the United States. Send an email to confirming that you have been admitted to a distance learning program and that you will be studying in your home country.

Set up UC email & get UCID number

Once you've committed to the University of Cincinnati, you will need your UCID number, or M number. You will also need to set up your UC email and check it often for updates.

Submit Sources of Financial Support

International students are required to submit documents showing their financial support. This is done through an eForm on iBearcatsGlobal, UC International Services' online system for international students.

You must demonstrate that you have financial support for all years of study for your degree. Check our estimated expenses page to determine the amount you have to certify. There is no deadline for submitting financial certification forms, but you will not be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 / DS-2019) until they are received. Submit your financial documents as soon as possible, but no sooner than 6 months prior to your start date at UC.


Provide Documentation for Dependents (if applicable)

If you plan on having accompanying dependents (spouse / children) in F-2 or J-2 status, you will provide biographical and immigration information regarding those dependents using the Add a New Dependent eForm found at iBearcatsGlobal. Each dependent will then receive his/her own I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for their visa.

Receive Certificate of Eligibility

After you submit your Financial Certification form, you will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility. F-1 students will receive an I-20, and J-1 students will receive a DS-2019. You will need this document to apply for your visa.

You will receive periodic updates on the status of your I-20 or DS-2019 via email. Upon admission to UC, you will receive an email from us indicating what documents, if any, are missing. You will receive an email indicating that your I-20 / DS-2019 has been mailed and to what address it was mailed.


Requesting Express Mailing

We recommend that you have your I-20 / DS-2019 sent by express mail. Regular mail overseas takes 4- 6 weeks. To request express mail service, go to We have discounted express mail rates negotiated with DHL and FedEx through the eshipglobal service. Do not go through the DHL or FedEx websites directly.

Our office will be notified once you have requested a shipment. If you have issues registering and processing a shipment, please use the "Help" link in the site for step-by-step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please email

Pay the SEVIS Fee

Before you can apply for a visa, you must pay a SEVIS fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. More information on the SEVIS fee can be found on our student visa webpage.

Apply for a Visa

In order to enter the U.S., you will need to apply for your appropriate visa. If you are already in the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status (transferring from ELS or another school), please visit our student visa webpage for more information on the transfer process.

Travel to the U.S. & Check In

The University of Cincinnati looks forward to your arrival! Visit our Orientation & Check-In section to learn more about traveling to the U.S. and your requirements upon arrival. Our Life at UC section can also answer questions about transportation, housing, American culture, and more.

We also recommend downloading our international student app. You'll be able to access information about immigration, life at UC, valuable resources, and campus maps all from your phone!

You will be required to check-in with UC International Services upon arrival, and attend a mandatory health screening. Information about both of these processes will be mailed to you with your I-20 / DS-2019. We will also email you with reminders, and you can schedule your check-in and health screening on iBearcatsGlobal.