COVID-19 Updates:



Temporary Housing for Students

The University of Cincinnati does not offer temporary housing accommodations.

Students with fall housing assignments at the university may be able to get into their dorms early (not more than a month) for a fee. Questions about temporary housing should be addressed to the Housing office.



UC International recommends that students should arrive at UC as close to the day school starts to avoid any need for temporary housing.

Many student organizations (like the Indian Student Association, in particular) will often help students find a temporary place to stay; if anything, the members are usually well-connected resources. You can look for other student organizations using CampusLink.



Airbnb is a mobile and web app where you can find temporary accomodations in many cities, including Cincinnati. Search the Airbnb website for a temporary place to stay around campus.



If you're in need of a hotel for a short stay, there are many options within a short distance of campus.

Within Walking Distance

Fairfield Inn & Suites (Uptown/University Area) 
2500 South Market Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219
(513) 281- 2200

Kingsgate Marriott
151 Goodman Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45219
(513) 487-3800

Hampton Inn and Suites (Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area)
3024 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45219


Spring Hill Suites Cincinnati Midtown
610 Eden Park Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45202
(513) 381-8300

Courtyard by Marriott Cincinnati, Midtown/Rookwood
3813 Edwards Road, Cincinnati, OH 45209

Residence Inn by Marriott Cincinnati, Midtown/Rookwood
3815 Edwards Road, Cincinnati, OH 45209

Bed and Breakfasts

The Clifton House
500 Terrace Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220

Gaslight Bed & Breakfast
3652 Middleton Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45220


Short-Term Housing for Scholars

UC International Services controls two fully furnished apartments for the use of short-term scholars. The apartments are located at 222 Senator Place, Cincinnati, OH, 45220. The cost of the apartment per person is $1300 per month ($400 per week). Daily rates are not available. You will be required to pay UC International monthly/weekly based on your length of stay. 



If you are interested in renting a room in one of the apartments, please view the full information under our J-1 Scholars page.

On Campus Housing

There are advantages to living on campus. Residence hall communities provide a safe, convenient home-away-from-home, and a low-stress environment that encourages students academically, socially, and personally.

A helping hand can always be found from the staff. Resident advisors (RAs), who are experienced students, know what coming to college is really like. Every hall community also has a full-time resource person, the residence hall director (RHD), who is available to students.

If you would like to live on campus and have not made any prior arrangements, please contact the Office of Housing & Food Services.


Residence Halls

There are ten residence halls on campus, and a variety of housing options for both graduate and undergraduate students. There are even special floors for certain academic majors such as Engineering, DAAP, CCM or Honors. 

The University of Cincinnati offers semesterly contracts for upper class and graduate students for an additional $300 per semester. An application fee of $50 and security deposit of $100 are due with the submission of your residence hall application.


Other Amenities

All rooms are fully-furnished for each person. Rooms include air conditioning, heat, high-speed Internet access, one micro-fridge unit and cable TV service. 

Loft beds are also available, per request. Note: beds are 80" long and use extra-long twin sheets.

All halls feature a laundry room, study lounge, snack vending machines, full fire protection system and 24-hour security. All hall communities are non-smoking environments.

The Office of Housing and Food Services
University of Cincinnati
203 Scioto Hall
Cincinnati OH 45221-0045
Phone: 513-556-6461;
Fax 513-861-6816

Graduate and Family Housing

The Office of Graduate Off-Campus Housing is located on the West Campus in the Housing Office in the lower level of the Stratford Heights Pavilion (2634 Stratford Avenue). The purpose of the office is to assist students in finding housing near the Uptown campuses, and provide resources and information for a smooth transition. The office helps graduate students, students with families, and visiting scholars.


Off Campus Private Listings

On a much smaller scale, private listings are posted that offer rental information to those seeking a more private accommodation, such as a home, two-family, duplex, a vacancy in a 4-unit building, or perhaps a bedroom in a shared house. You can use the resources on the right to help you find an off campus apartment. 

The university has also compiled a list of off-campus apartment buildings containing 20 or more units, located in neighborhoods adjacent to campus. The majority of these rentals are within walking distance of the Main (West) Campus and the Medical (East) Campus. However, if you would rather not walk, the university provides a free shuttle service during the academic year that goes to surrounding neighborhoods, and stops on both campuses. The comprehensive list, corresponding maps, and the private listings are also available on the Off-Campus Housing's website.

Renting an Apartment

When you rent a room or an apartment you will be required to sign a lease. A lease is a written contract between you and the landlord (the owner of the rental property). When you sign a lease, you agree to pay a certain amount of money each month and to follow certain rules in exchange for the right to occupy the rental property for a set period of time. Most lease agreements require that you pay a security deposit which is usually equal to one month’s rent. This security deposit will be returned to you if you fulfill all the terms of the lease. Read the lease carefully and be sure you understand it before signing it.

Also, take a look at the "Dealing with Landlords" tab to get a sense of the questions you should ask before you sign a lease for an apartment.

Graduate & Family 
Off-Campus Housing

Phone:  513-556-0682
Fax:       513-861-6816

2634 Stratford Avenue,
Building 16
PO Box 210045
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0045


Housing Resources

Online Off-Campus Housing Listings is updated on a regular basis, so you can check it regularly.

Additional resources to find roommates and local apartments:


Working with Landlords

Once you have moved in, your main responsibilities are to pay rent on time (use checks only; do not pay with cash) and keep the property in a clean and safe condition. While you have responsibilities to pay rent and keep the property in good condition, your landlord has responsibilities, too.

If you believe the landlord is treating you differently than he would treat an American student, or if the landlord is not keeping the property in working condition, tell the landlord to repair the property. Be assertive about the problems and required repairs. Do not accept negligence from your landlord. Demand that the apartment is in a safe, clean, livable condition. Otherwise, you are inviting the landlord to victimize you.

If you have problems with your landlord, it is a good idea to photograph the contested areas of the apartment which are in disrepair. In addition, put all of your complaints in writing, send your landlord a copy, and keep a copy of your complaints for your own files. Let the landlord know that you are willing to go to court if the problems continue. If the problems are not resolved, consider taking legal action. UC International Services maintains a list of legal counsels for this.

Questions to Ask When Considering an Apartment:

  • How many minutes does it take to get to UC walking? And driving?
  • Is there a bus line close by?
  • What type of apartment is it? A house? An apartment complex?
  • How many bedrooms does it have?
  • How much is the rent per month?
  • Is a security deposit required?
  • What type of lease is offered (monthly, 6 month, 9 month, year)?
  • Are children allowed?
  • Are pets allowed? Is an extra security deposit required for pets?
  • What kind of heat is used (gas, electric, oil, etc.)?
  • Who pays for utilities (heat, electric, water, etc.)?
  • Is the apartment furnished or unfurnished?
  • What type of flooring is there (carpet, hardwood, tile)?
  • Is there a stove? Is there a refrigerator?
  • What type of parking is available (garage, off-street parking, on-street parking)?
  • How soon will the apartment be available?

Problems with Your Landlord

If you are having trouble with your landlord off-campus, call 513-556-0053 to talk to someone at the Tenant Information Project (TIP) at the University of Cincinnati Law School. A UC law student will be available to discuss by telephone the Ohio Landlord and Tenant Law with you. They will look up particular points in the legal codes for you and give you reference points if you decide to pursue further legal action.

If you are having trouble with your landlord due to your ethnicity, nationality, religious belief, etc, call 513-721-4663 to reach Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME). HOME provides legal aid for those dealing with potential fair housing issues.