Supplemental Instruction Positions
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders are selected from among the university's most accomplished students. SI Leaders are assigned to historically difficult courses to develop review sessions designed to integrate what to learn with how to learn. The SI Leaders primary roles are:
· Attending all class meetings of their assigned course and act as model students within the classroom (take notes, read all assigned materials, etc.)
· Conducting two (2) regularly scheduled review sessions (1.5 hours each) per week throughout the term, implementing strategies learned through SI Leader training
· Holding weekly office hours
· Conducting extended review sessions as necessary (e.g. prior to examinations)
· Ascertaining course requirements and maintain regular contact throughout the term with course instructor
· Modeling successful student behaviors for those enrolled in the course
· Maintaining a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades, and other student complaints
· Acting as a representative for the SI program on campus
· Attending mandatory training sessions prior to the start of the semester and weekly group meetings throughout each term of employment
Competitive SI Leader applicants will have:
· At least one full year of college and at least one semester at UC (by the start of employment)
· 3.5 GPA or above is required (and must maintain a 3.0 University GPA and a 3.0 Term GPA in order to remain eligible employed)
· B+ in any course for which they are assigned (courses must have been taken at UC). Students who received a B in the course may submit an application only if their Faculty Recommendation Form is completed by the instructor who will be teaching the course and that faculty member approves of their content competency.
· Prior enrollment with the instructor assigned to teach the course is preferred, but not required
· Applicants should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to work well both individually and on a team, be highly motivated, and reliable.
For the application, you must submit at least 2 recommenders. Students should solicit letters from UC faculty or staff who have seen the student's academic, leadership, and communication skills.
References should not include personal or family friends, supervisors from non-relevant employment, or other UC students.
How to Apply:
Once you have reviewed the position responsibilities and qualifications, go back to the Student Employment main page and apply. You are able to select more than one position you want to apply for within the application, but you should not select all positions.
Questions? Contact the Learning Commons front desk at (513) 556 – 3244 or email the professional staff member supervising the position. Go to the Learning Commons Professional Staff page for details on the supervisor you should contact.