COVID-19 Updates: uc.edu/publichealth
Starfish CATALYST INTEGRATION
Starfish is now integrated with the Catalyst Student Information System. This means that advisors will be able to see data about a student directly in Starfish. It is a great way to see an overview of a student’s information all in one place. Information is uploaded overnight from Catalyst to Starfish so advisors will still want to see Catalyst for the most up to date information.
How will the integration change how Starfish is used? Expand
- Student information (including Catalyst notes) will be viewable in Starfish
- Starfish will provide a quick hit of information for Advisors.
- Advisors will want to use Catalyst to prep for their student appointments in the morning, Starfish to do a quick review before grabbing the student for their appointment.
- Help with efficiency of communicating with students
- Filters will make it easy to search for students by pre-determined attributes (Veteran, Athlete, Academic Standing, GPA, etc.).
- When viewing students, advisors can select multiple students and send a message directly from Starfish.
- Simplifying notes
- Appointment notes can be added directly into Starfish Appointment Outcomes and will populate in Catalyst (the following day).
- Other types of notes may be added by using the notes button and will also populate in Catalyst the following day.
- Advisors will be identified by specific role not just Academic Advisor (ex- a pre-med Biology student with a Criminal Justice Minor, will have their A&S advisor, PPAC Advisor and CECH Advisor clearly labeled). This makes it important for Advisors to be properly associated in Catalyst!
Important topics to keep in mind with integration Expand
- Starfish’s information is always a day old, the import from Catalyst will happen nightly. This is a big reason why Catalyst should still be a primary use for advisors.
- Starfish is set up based on current term and has some past information – it is not for future semesters. The only exception for this is in the Registered for Fall, Spring, or Summer Semester attribute.
- Example – a student may register for the upcoming semester, that semester will only appear 2 weeks before the semester. The advisor will need to head to Catalyst to see the registration.
- Students will be available in Starfish if the student..
- Has any Active CPP stack.
- Has a Leave of Absence or Suspended (for 365 days after given this status).
- Has completed or discontinued a program in the last 30 days.
- Has No Active CPP stack but has a future Active CPP stack 180 days into future.
- Has an active advising association to a PPAC advisor role (ongoing).
What won’t change? Expand
- Connect (Scheduling)
- Early Alert (Flags and Kudos)
- Advisors being in Catalyst – advisors still need to use Catalyst regularly! It has the most up to date and in depth information along with the degree audit.
To get started using Starfish, log into Blackboard and click the Starfish link under My UC > Tools. Following the instructions in the guides and videos below, advisors and staff will be able to navigate the new information available and interperet it.
NOTE: As of September 11, 2018, Starfish has an updated user interface. This moved the top navigation bar to a menu button icon in the upper left hand corner that will open the full menu. The guides and videos below are being updated to reflect this change. The rest of the steps are still the same procedure.
|Catalyst Integration Resources|
|A Quick Introduction to the Overview tab||Video|
|A Quick Introduction to the Information tab||Video|
|Adding Appointment Outcomes|