Contact: Keisha Love, Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Special Initiatives, 513-556-4381 or Keisha.Love@uc.edu
Outstanding Academic Unit Head/Leader Award
The Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost is pleased to present the Outstanding Academic Unit Head/Leader Award. This award recognizes an academic unit head, division head, or school director who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in multiple domains. The award recipient will receive $5000 in professional development funding, $2500 of which is for the head and $2500 of which is for the unit.
Current unit heads/directors, as articulated in Article 31 of the collective bargaining agreement with at least two completed years of service.
The selection committee, which will consist of two unit heads, two deans or his/her designee, and three administrators in the Office of the Provost, will evaluate nominations on the evidence of qualities that distinguish nominees as an outstanding unit head or director. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:
- Demonstration of effective leadership qualities (e.g., has a vision for the department, is proactive and positive, fair and equitable, has a caring attitude, can make difficult decisions, can delegate when appropriate, fosters an inclusive approach to accomplishing tasks, and manages conflict effectively).
- Facilitates high levels of achievement among departmental faculty and staff and promotes professional development.
- Is innovative with regard to new programs, infrastructure, facilities, and organization.
- Fosters an environment that exemplifies diversity and inclusion for faculty, staff, and students.
- Creates and/or maintains an environment that promotes academic excellence.
- Emphasizes collaboration within and among departments/units/colleges.
- Is an active citizen of both the college and university.
- Participates in professional development opportunities both within and outside the university.
- Manages fiscal resources effectively and responsibly.
- Utilizes human capital resources effectively and efficiently.
Submission and Selection Process
For consideration, submit nomination packets as a single PDF to Keisha Love by December 17, 2018. Colleges may only nominate one unit head. If more than one nominee emerges in a college, that college will develop its own internal process for selecting the nominee it forwards to the Office of the Provost for consideration.