University Health ServicesUniversity of CincinnatiUniversity Health Services

University Health Services

Insurance Questions

I Have Private Health Insurance

Can I Use My Health Insurance Plan at University Health Services?

University Health Services accepts most insurance plans. However, it is always recommended that you check with your insurance plan to verify that University Health Services is in-network.

Since UHS serves only students and employees of the University of Cincinnati you will not find UHS listed on any “how to find a provider” insurance web site. We will be listed as University of Cincinnati Physicians Company.  If your insurance plan pays to University of Cincinnati Physicians Company then you can be seen using your insurance coverage at UHS.

Check with your insurance about:

  • Medical coverage for a member living out of town.

  • Ask for a list of providers in the area.

  • Do you have an out-of-network benefit on your plan?

  • Some insurances will cover the patient for acute illness or injury if you are greater than 50 miles from home.

  • Be sure to check with your health insurance plan in regards to out-of-pocket expenses such as co-pays.

Guarantor and subscriber Information will be collected during your first appointment at the time of patient registration. To learn more about what information will be required please see the Welcome New Patients page.

Please bring your insurance card or a copy of the card (front and back) with you at the time of your appointment.

Your insurance plan co-pay is due at the time of service. Methods of payments accepted: credit card, Bearcat card, HSA debit card, FSA (Benny) card, check or cash.

I Have Student Health Insurance

I have UC Student Health Insurance. What Do I Need to Know About My Primary Care?

  • If you have Student Health Insurance, your primary care providers are located at the UHS main campus or UHS medical campus. There is no co-pay for primary care at either location.

  • Primary care includes diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illnesses, health promotion, disease prevention, health maintenance, counseling, and patient education.

  • Primary Care Services at other locations mentioned on the In-Network list are not covered at the same rate as the UHS main campus or UHS medical campus. 
Referrals…This is Important to Know and Remember!
  • Medical conditions that require treatment by a specialist (orthopedist, cardiologist, gynecologist, etc) require a referral from a University Health Services provider.

  • Referrals written after the Fall semester begins, remain in effect until the beginning of the next academic year.

  • Those requiring ongoing specialty care need to have a University Health Services provider renew their referral yearly.

  • If you are seen in an emergency room and the treating physician refers you to a specialist, contact University Health Services to have a referral written as soon as possible or at least prior to your follow-up visit to any specialist.


For more information about UC Student Health Insurance please see the Student Health Insurance web site.