The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. More Information
The University of Cincinnati has begun the process of creating a comprehensive stormwater management master plan. The plan will help UC find ways to reduce its stormwater runoff which contributes millions of gallons of water per year into Cincinnati's combined sewer system. Several stormwater runoff mitigation projects are already underway.
In order to reduce runoff of storm water from roof surfaces, UC has started installation of green roofs. A green roof is a roof surface covered with vegetation in a growing medium. The Zimmer Roof Garden functions as a green roof. As part of the renovation of Procter Hall, a partial green roof was constructed in Spring 2012. Another green roof is installed on DAA as of 2013. In addition to retaining stormwater, green roofs help insulate buildings, create a habitat for urban wildlife, and help mitigate the heat island effect.
UC also promotes the conservation of water and has installed low-flow toilets and other fixtures wherever possible. The Campus Conservation Nationals competition encourage residence hall students to compete each year to see which hall can conserve the most water.
8 Ways to Conserve Water
- Turn off faucets while washing hands or brushing teeth and save 4 gallons a minute.
- Turn water off while shampooing/ conditioning your hair and save more than 50 gallons a week.
- Drop tissues and other waste in the trash rather than toilet and save gallons each time.
- Keep showers under 5 minutes. You'll save up to 1,000 gallons a month.
- Wash full loads in dishwashers and washing machines. This could save up to 1,000 gallons a month.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap for a cold drink.
- Don't thaw food under running water.
- Replace your shower head with a low flow version.
Make a conscious effort to do one thing every day at UC to conserve water. Every drop counts. Report leaks, dripping faucets and running toilets. A dripping faucet wastes more than 600 gallons a year; a running toilet, more than 131,000 gallons. Please call Work Control at 513-558-2500 or submit an online work request.