The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. More Information
Integrated Core Learning (ICL)
Integrated Core Learning is the essence of undergraduate learning at UC, reflecting our strengths as one of the nation's top urban research institutions. It's the thoughtful mixing of top-notch academics with real world experiences. What is the result? A learning experience that is exceptionally self-directed, interdisciplinary, global, and in short, transformational.
► The ICL Vision
The goal of the Integrated Core Learning (ICL) initiative is the thoughtful integration of the General Education core, major course work, undergraduate research, practicum, clinical placements, co-op and service learning experiences, co-curricular activities, and faculty-guided reflection throughout the undergraduate curriculum. This holistic approach creates a transformative individual educational experience. ICL is built upon the University of Cincinnati's strength as a leading urban research institution with an emphasis on experiential learning and a high quality academic foundation.
► Benefits to Students
1. Complex and collaborative settings for learning encourage students to develop skills and tools that distinguish the UC graduate:
- the ability to integrate and apply what they are learning
- to think critically
- to communicate complex ideas in a variety of settings
- to work effectively in interdisciplinary environments
2. The integration of theory and practice experiences prepare students to transition to a profession or graduate program and continue to assume ownership for life-long learning, civic engagement, and social responsibility.
3. A connected holistic educational model helps students value their comprehensive education - an education that encompasses the liberal arts, applied disciplines, and scientific and technological domains.
4. Hands on experiences with culturally and intellectually diverse groups prepares students to understand and contribute to today's world.
5. Simply put, ICL makes learning fun and engaging! Students are more likely to stick with their academic plans and graduate.