The Office of Safety and Reform, led by renowned criminal justice researcher Dr. Robin S. Engel, manages the Department of Public Safety and the reform efforts of the UC Police Department (UCPD).
Created in 2015, following the officer-involved shooting of Samuel DuBose, the Office seeks to: (1) increase trust, open communication, and cooperation between the UCPD and members of the University and its neighboring communities, and (2) establish a culture of transparency, legitimacy, fairness, collaboration, inclusion, diversity, and innovation within the UCPD. Ultimately, the Office would like to transform the UCPD into a national model for excellence in urban university policing.
The Office of Safety and Reform is responsible for:
- Coordinating all investigations and reviews of the UC Police Department.
- Ensuring UC Police engage in fair and impartial policing to rebuild community trust.
- Enhancing the legitimacy of UCPD policing practices.
- Coordinating the Safety and Reform Community Advisory Council.
- Improving diversity and equity within the UCPD.