The university does not currently have a social media policy. In lieu of a policy, we provide the following guidelines/recommendations:
- If you choose to use social media, don’t start it without having a solid communication plan about how/why you will use it and how it will be maintained, how it will coordinate with other communication tools/vehicles, etc.
- Do not abandon or neglect your area’s website in favor of any social media.
- Determine whether your audience is using social media and try to assess whether this would be an effective way to communicate with them.
- If you choose to create a social media site, ensure that it has adequate resources for maintenance, review, updates (again, not at the expense of your website).
- If you choose to use Facebook, remember that options frequently change – pay close attention.
- Take great caution when investing time and resources. Emerging Web technologies have short lifespans and are often quickly replaced by the next best thing. Take full advantage of what makes the technology unique; do not just participate to appear trendy or cool. Make calculated and informed decisions as you would with your primary websites.